Post random Error coins

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by austyn, Apr 15, 2014.

1. austyn

austyn Member

Got this one from a coin store on the georiga-tennessee border. its a 1999 penny IMG_1257.jpg IMG_1258.jpg The guy even wrote (top left corner obv.) misstike penny.

Collect89 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I have been told that this is a late stage die cap error. I found it in a bag of foreign coins.

LouisianaQuarterObv.JPG LouisianaQuarterRev.jpeg

Collect89, austyn and jello like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll see your 45% O/C Lincoln and raise you a 50% O/C Lincoln.

Chris

1989 Lincoln OBV.JPG 1989 Lincoln REV.JPG

5. cpm9ball

This is the very first error coin that I got from the US Mint. It cost me all of 68c!

Chris

PS. I forgot to mention that it is one of only two known for this denomination/date/mm.

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg 2001-D 50c OBV Slab.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    SPP Ottawa, Collect89, austyn and 3 others like this.
  6. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

7. cpm9ball

Very cool! I wonder if we can get more O/C strikes from different dates.

Chris

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that is awesome. what might the value of it be today ?

10. Rick Stachowski

11. Rick Stachowski

12. cpm9ball

This is the 2nd coin that I got from the US Mint.

I submitted this coin to NGC at the FUN Show in January, 2006. At that time, it was simply classified as a Mint Error, and it came back PF70UCAM. When it was added to the CPG as a variety, I resubmitted it to NGC at the January, 2012 FUN Show for the designation, FS-901 Die Dent.

Since errors are not listed separately in the NGC Census, the addition of the variety designation made inclusion in the census possible, and it instantly became the Top Pop with no others, a first for me. There are only 12 known for this variety, and only 3 are graded by NGC - one PF68UCAM, one PF69UCAM and mine.

Less than two months after achieving the Top Pop status, I was contacted by an agent for a collector in California, and I sold this coin for $1,000.

Chris

Old photos before the variety designation.
    2005-S KS Silver SQ.JPG 2005-S KS Silver SQ FS-901.JPG

Collect89 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  13. cpm9ball

Well, all I can say is that I learned of the 2nd specimen when the owner listed it raw on eBay in late spring of 2005. His coin was also missing the reverse clad layer. He claimed that it was a one-of-a-kind. So, I sent him an e-mail and politely informed him that I also had one (they both were found in the $100 Mixed P&D bags that the Mint released in late 2004) and mine had already been graded by NGC. He thanked me for the info and amended his listing with the update.

His coin sold raw for $555. Since errors are not listed in the census, I have no way of knowing if it was ever submitted for grading, and I continued to search eBay listings for another specimen for the next 5 years. None had ever surfaced. I can only conclude that these are the only 2 specimens that left the Mint undetected.

If I were to sell this today, I wouldn't accept anything less than $1,000. The funny part is that many dealers believe there is more value for the coin if it is missing the obverse layer. In this case, I disagree. Try picturing a red-faced Kennedy in your mind. I think the Presidential Seal looks fantastic in copper!

Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Why are you showing the Bison's butt?

Personal opinion?

:)

16. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

Collect89, austyn and cpm9ball like this.
  17. cpm9ball

While some people might think I'm crazy putting a value of $1,000 on my Kennedy, at least I haven't left the planet. That guy is nuts!

I'm curious to know how many others have seen a Kennedy missing the clad layer, obverse or reverse. I haven't been looking for the past couple of years, but I have yet to see another. You know, the coin is just big enough that if the side missing the clad was facing upward on the Mint conveyor system, it would surely be easily spotted. Maybe that is why I haven't seen too many.

Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

Frank, have you ever been to the Riviera in Las Vegas? I don't know if it is still there, but they used to have the show, "Crazy Girls", and the banner read........

"No if's, and's or........

2935654138_0a44ac9fe5_o.jpg

.......butt's about it!

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think $1,000 is reasonable. probably worth even more ? :jimlad:

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I am not familiar with a conveyor system at the US mint that is used to optically inspect the coins. I suspect that missing clad layer examples are small & the mintage of half dollars is small.

I believe that I have at least one example of a half missing clad layer. It may not be possible to get photos because those coins are probably in a SDB. I'll see if anything is available for a fresh photo tonight. I know that I have a batch of quarters that can be posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted