Photo Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Blaubart, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, I certainly didn't want to stop anybody from their photos. I enjoyed looking at everyone's work. As you might have suspected, I am very deep into the hobby, which gave me what I now consider an unfair advantage. So I am officially withdrawing from the contest and it is game on so please post away.

I received many likes on my shot, which I greatly appreciate.
    If anyone is interested in seeing more of my work, please check out my website.

www.thejerseylandscape.com

Enjoy :)
    Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i'm not. lol;) i just point and click. anything else photography related is over my head.

4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I do photography for a living, so I won't enter the contest either, but am really enjoying the photos posted here. Many very nice shots! Here's a sample of what I do. It's lure coursing, the dog is following a lure which happens to go through a pond:

[​IMG]

Dave

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Well, I don't think that anyone other than a professional photographer should not have an entry to the contest. If someone has this as a hobby, that's fine. Let the best picture win. mikem2000, I think you should be back in the contest. And if Dave M wasn't doing photography for a living, then he should be in, too.

I love that pic Dave, wish you could tell me how you got the action.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks! I have to be quite a ways away from the dogs so as not to distract them. This one's shot at 420mm, and of course I shoot a burst of frames in sequence so I can get just the right part of the action.

Dave

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks for that input. While I trudge by butt to J&J every day and fix their computers for my profession, and consider photography as a hobby, I may be too close to the line. I do not market my photos, but from time to time I have gotten requests and I sell some to interested art lovers. While it is not even enough money to even cover the cost of my camera, I have had sold my shots for cash. So lets just say that puts me over that thin line into the professional category.

Mike

8. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I don't want anyone to have to bow out of this contest, or not to submit a photo for consideration based on their professional status.

Yes, this is a photo contest, and I can see where some people might think a professional photographer might have an advantage, but this isn't a professional photo contest. The primary purposes of this contest are for people to get to know a little more about each other, and to generate a little interest in the outdoors.

Here's a little inside information on the contest: I will not be grading on generally accepted objective standards for photo contests. I will be picking the photo/story based on how it speaks to me.

As for what's been submitted so far, I can't believe my contest has generated so much activity! Many of the photos and stories are fascinating and I thank everyone for their submissions. I haven't disqualified anyone, not even mrbrklyn. They way I have chosen to handle multiple submissions, is to accept the first photo submitted unless the submitter identifies which photo they want me to consider before the deadline.

9. wd40

wd40 Member

my previous picture does not qualify because it was taken indoor :D

here is an other one, a BIG water fountain at night.

Thanks for the contest .....

Fountain.jpg

10. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well OK then, when you put it that way, I'm in. Thanks for the contest.

Mike

11. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Car security

My first trip to Alaska I was soooo excited. I was determined I would photograph everything. And I did. (Obnoxiously!)

These two 'fellas were my first 'subjects'. I was waiting in a parking lot, and right next to where I was waiting was this little car. The windows were down, and I thought to myself that someone must have taken them to work with them. Inside the vehicle, well, take a look.. (I know the rules say one photo, but these two simply belong together)

driver1[1].jpg driver2.jpg

Perhaps I will find ONE photo to mark as a submission..

:) Lucy

12. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I spent a couple of decades as a pro photographer. I just submitted a pic that I enjoy looking at. (the pic looks far different on my slide show than it does here. It looks muted.) My other pics are buried on discs that are in boxes in the basement.

13. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i know i already entered earlier with a pic, so don't count this one. just wanted to share it. taken halloween 2011 in niagara... this is the smaller river/branch that turns into the bridal veil falls. for those that don't know, the bridal veil falls is between the american falls (previous entry) and the horseshoe falls (the famous one).

river.JPG

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:)

Attached Files:

15. rlspears10

rlspears10 Member

I suppose I will add a picture as well. While this isn't one of my best shots, it is the best that I have on this laptop.

'56 Belair--502 Ram Jet, custom Art Morrison suspension and framework, full restoration. 600+hp. Definitely turns a few heads.

Attached Files:

16. rlspears10

rlspears10 Member

Happen to come across this one as well. Technically speaking, bad photo. This was taken with a cell phone a few years back.

My wife and her numbers matching, all original 80k mile '76 Formula 400 Ram Air. This was her first car, and she has had it for 11 years now. I think she might love this car more than she loves me!

Attached Files:

17. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

r u n !!!! (From the spider that didn't show up here..)

18. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Baranof Warm Springs

A small cove in Southern Alaska. I cannot describe in words how beautiful. If you stick around a while, the tide comes in pretty quickly!

Consider this my entry, please.

And thank you for this fun contest. The fun part is seeing all the photos, and as you had hoped, finding out a little bit more about some of our forum members.

Lucy

baranoff2[1].jpg

Oh gosh, please don't hate me, but this one for your viewing pleasure... A flowing glacier in Alaska (I promise, no more photos!)

glacier2[2].jpg

19. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

since it was mentioned that many coin collectors are also rock/mineral collectors I figured I would show some photos that I took while playing with my new camera

Velvet Malachite Nodules
    001.jpg

this sample of malachite,pyrite, quartz, citrine, and other minerals is about the size of my thumbnail
    007.jpg

20. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

It is beautiful. I thank you for presenting it. (Photography, simply, isn't my field :(.)

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats just a lil one :D Check out the glare in this house spiders eye :eek:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted