Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. connor1

connor1 Collector

Hoard

Lettow,
    I guess I paid to much then ,I paid $36 , I liked the look & thought the grading if I bought it raw would be & $30 from PCGS.It came graded.
    Like I said I mostly collect US & just bought because of the ABNCo Vignettes plus the Grading & condition.
    Thanks for the free appraisal anyway.

I just cheched Your right for raw notes but the PCGS GRADED ARE MUCH HIGHER http://cgi.ebay.com/HGR-Costa-Rica-...0564890973?pt=Paper_Money&hash=item2eb2995d5d
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HGR-Costa-Rica-...0531668262?pt=Paper_Money&hash=item25606edd26

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks & I didnt even notice the SN/C, pays to post stuff online. As far as my other hamiltons, they are circulated grade, some ragged but no tears or holes, just wrinkles & none are graded. Only the current looking $10 is crisp.

I wish......http://cgi.ebay.com/1880-20-UNITED-...tDomain_0&hash=item519547cf46#ht_26227wt_1042

The large size notes are beauties though. Most large notes are but I see the cost of them & dismiss it and go back to the coins. But since I didnt know what to burn my ebay bucks on I decided a note :)

Seeing as how cheap these Costa Rica Republic of Law 1 Colon go, I may pick one up later in next week.

And if I can make it to long beach I am gonna look for a 1914 $20 FRN, love those. But the ancients come first, lol.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

I understand about your collecting priorities, we all have to make our own considerations. I think adding that $10 Silver Cert was a great way to apply your eBay bucks. I love that 1880 $20 you posted from the eBay seller, but I think you will do better than that seller if/when you ever get around to picking up a note like that. In the mean time, you might like to get one of those designs on a 'Souvenir Card'. Search that term on eBay and take a look at the BEP reproductions produced for past coin and paper shows. I have several that I greatly admire for the crisp original designs at least until I am able to ever buy old notes. Regardless I doubt I will ever afford the top quality similar to a freshly printed souvenir card. They are beautiful and 100% authentic in all regards, plus Souvenir cards (See this CT thread) are great for studying/understanding the designs in detail so you can know what to look for on actual issued notes when you go to bid/buy them.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Oh I saw cheaper 1880 $20 notes but that was just quick copy/paste for what I was referring too. I didnt have my currency book next to me for the #.

As far as the souvenir cards, I always lurk on that thread and admire the posts, the engravings of yesterday were something to admire, same with old US and even ancients. There is even fractional currency I would like to acquire but as mentioned, priorities... Thats why my collecting is eclectic. Little here, little there, lol.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Cant go wrong for $36, especially moving up one grade would cost you $64 more dollars
    Thumbs Up! Way to go Bob :)

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

Good Luck on the $20 FRN one of my favorites in my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

capthank and Michael K like this.
  8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a great note & great pics. I definitely would like to get one in a decent grade unlike what I have done with my hamiltons, lol.

But the hamiltons are a minor diversion anyways.

capthank likes this.
  10. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Not to jump on your case, Bob, but as a reminder to the group since the topic is fresh: The vast, vast majority of non-US notes are bought and sold raw. I purposely avoid notes in TPG holders, and I'm sure many others do as well. So even more for those notes, "buy the note, not the holder" applies. Paying 1000% percent more for a TPG holder is unlikely to ever break even.

Dave

11. connor1

connor1 Collector

I suspect very few at that price but I didn't & would never pay that price but $36 is what I overpaid for.the note .Like raw MPCs sell for much less then graded MPC's ,same thing someone pays for the grading either way but I like to be sure my notes are not counterfeits.
    I guess I would have had to pay $30 to have the note graded but it came pre-graded,so I guess the additional $6 was what I actually paid for the note .
    Live and learn but don't buy raw notes unless you are positive they are not counterfeits.

12. connor1

connor1 Collector

Dave,,
    Seeing that the vast majority of non-US notes are bought raw,how can you be sure of the seller over grading or ever selling you a counterfeit note if you do not have the experience in buying non-US notes ?

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Regarding over-grading, I will simply return a note if it's been graded wrong. I haven't had an issue with this process, and while I would lose the shipping cost, most dealers are perfectly fine with such a return.

Regarding counterfeits, most counterfeit notes are pretty well documented in the catalogs, or are some of these recent facsimile notes that are obvious to recognize. So the same thing, return it.

Fundamentally, both these assume that the dealer will accept a return for such a situation. It's very rare for me to need to return something - I ask dealers for large scans of notes, and do my best up front before I buy, but of course once in a while something slips through. Most dealers would rather accept a return as an alternative to a public flogging. :)

Dave

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

BTW Dave M, there will be another French print in my near future for my collection me thinks, a certain design from the Central African States - just looking to find one from one of the lesser known countries.

15. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I suspect I am soon to be green with envy... perhaps a note from Central African Republic?

16. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

A very nice display of banknotes people. Thank you.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have always been taught if it feels good do it!! buying graded notes from a respectable TPG always
    Enhances the value when you go to sell, Why because you know what you have and there is really
    No dispute (the seller know,s what he has and the buyer know,s what he,s getting) there can be
    Instances where that is not the case but they are very few and far between.

I myself started out in the raw note market but then made the switch to PCGS only certified MPC
    And currently tied for first for best set on The Series 661 and 681 Sets!!

18. connor1

connor1 Collector

ditto Rusty.... when I sell some day it will be my son or wife who will be dealing with a dealer who will know in a few minutes that he has non-collectors in front of him.
    If your notes are graded by a respectable TPG their will be no haggling either pay the going rate or go to another dealer that will.
    Knowelge is peace of mind for me knowing my collection will be sold for a fair price.
    Yes you could take your chances & not get them graded but I prefer graded notes over raw any day .
    Their are many honest dealers out there who will pay a fair price for raw notes but my son and wife would not know the value & would take a price that could be lower then the market value.

19. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Back to the original thread of new acquisitions, I received this beauty today.

[​IMG]

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Now that is vivid!!! Very nice Clay.

The waterfall vignette almost appears to be old stype red|blue 3D!

21. connor1

connor1 Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted