"Pablo" the Bison $10 United States Note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, Apr 6, 2014.

1. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

gsalexan:

That is very interesting to hear. Would you happen to know anyone in your circles that may be able to provide any additional information on this?
    It has been a while since I have spoken with Mr. Hessler (due to illness) however, I may try to reach out to him and learn some more about it.

Regards,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

This is true the "Blue BEP SN" is present on the back of the proof.
    What is different about this one is that the process back at that time included mounting the fresh proof due to the paper being "wet" would reveal perimeter holes from the drying rack upon which it was mounted.
    This particular proof does not show these so perhaps it has been trimmed at one time or another? I can't say that it has, however, I can say the drying process does include these perimeter holes.
    I find this to be very interesting to say the least as this is only the 2nd Proof I have ever seen. The other one in which I have held in my own hands has no foxing, it has the drying rack perimeter holes and is in wonderful condition. It comes from a long history of ownership dating back to a BEP Employee.

Best regards..

4. RickieB

If you are interested in these Proof's and would like to see what I am discussing here...please send me a PM.
    I am proud to say that I actually own an original BEP Proof of Pablo in all it's perimeter hole glory...:)

RickeB

rev1774 likes this.
  5. RickieB

Hummm...

Is anybody out there?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. krispy

krispy krispy

7. RickieB

Well hello there my old friend..
    How are you ?

If I am not mistaken, you have seen this piece before . right?

Have a great day!

RickieB

8. chip

chip Novice collector

I am here and enjoying the postings.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

I have indeed had the privilege to view this piece and can confirm its fine quality and well preserved condition.

I sure hope you will be able to pass it on to your son and heirs even if every other note, vignette, book, coin and bit of numismatic material has to be sold.

It's a piece that would command top status in any numismatic collection!

Thanks for sharing a lot more about it in this thread!

RickieB and gsalexan like this.
  10. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Rick, I located a usage on that second bison vignette I posted earlier. It shows up on a City of Buffalo bond from 1928. It was printed by the Security Bank Note Co. Same bison, different engraver.

SO21 Bison vignette.jpg City of Buffalo bond.jpg City of Buffalo bond bison.jpg

midas1 and RickieB like this.
  11. RickieB

Now that is very interesting to say the least... Hessler's Reference does not list more than Baldwin engraving Pablo....
    Any idea's on who this was and how many instances it was used?

I wonder if Baldwin's was limited to the $10 Note?

RickieB

12. gsalexan

According to the text on the souvenir card, the bison was engraved by Otis Thomson around 1921. Thomson worked for Security Bank Note.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Cool thread! Glad to see the MPC from Scottishmoney.

14. RickieB

In Hessler's Reference" Otis Stuart Thompson Sr"
    b. 1870-d.19 Sept 1944
    Served Apprenticeship with Thomas Bradley, founder of Security Bank Note Co.
    1921 he engraved that American Bison based on the same note by M.Baldwin used on the $10 Note.

There is the difference in engravings ...slight but different as you mentioned.

Pablo is and always will be the Original.. for those of you who have the Engraver Line by Gene Hessler turn to page 304 top left page for this reference.

Best regards

15. gsalexan

RickieB likes this.
  16. RickieB

That is nice, however it is still not a BEP original..the version I own is the BEP original with BEP Stamp on the reverse and it still contains the perimeter holes from being impaled upon the BEP drying rack...it is a true BEP Proof one of the very few in this condition to say the least. The price listing is ok..for such a piece but it is something that I would not even consider.
    Thanks for posting this..I do not mean to sound snobbish but what I have is truly unique with a very well rounded pedigree leading back to Thomas Morris.

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

This was distributed 10 years ago at the 2004 ANA Convention in Portland

[​IMG]

This is my one and only example on a piece of currency

[​IMG]

petronius, RickieB, Effigy303 and 5 others like this.
  18. gsalexan

My home town and I was at that show! I have a hand-pulled version of that souvenir card in my collection.

19. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

The next ANA Convention in Portland is in March 2015. Where can i find any info (if there's any out there yet) if these or some other types will be distributed again?

20. gsalexan

The Bureau has been notoriously late in releasing information on their forthcoming year's intaglio print (souvenir card) program. In 2013 their first card came out in April and they didn't release anything about it until the previous month. Look for them to post something on their website here: http://www.moneyfactorystore.gov/intaglioprints.aspx

21. RickieB

Steve...
    Great note! Love em.. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted