Not sure of the authenticity of this coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Selling for $37 USD on Ebay and the seller has five of them available. This is a key date in the Australia Penny series.

s-l1600.jpg 1946.jpg

lordmarcovan and Cheech9712 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Looks legit. I am guessing that the seller just recently bought a few collections.

4. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

He has sold 36 of them already. For a date that has a mintage of 363 000 that seems like a lot to have in possession. He is from Australia though.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It's a penny, not a huge investment in 1946, I'm sure someone someplace has a roll stashed away.

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good info. Jump in

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Funny. Numista says the mintage was 363,000, but Krause/NGC says 240,000.

$20 in VG, $40 in Fine, per Krause/NGC. I'm no master at grading these, but that does look to be somewhere in that range; like a strong VG+ or a low-end Fine to me, by American standards.

Priced at $37? Maybe no screaming bargain, vis-a-vis the Krause price, but not totally out of line, either, for somebody who might need one.

I see nothing there that raises red flags as far as authenticity goes.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. robp

robp Well-Known Member

It might be a key date from a mintage viewpoint, but once the total struck is known to be limited, someone will hoard them.

1925 is a key date for the British halfcrown, but that didn't stop someone in Australia amassing a 4000 strong pile of them. They were sold in 10 or 11 lots at Noble's a few years ago, but only one of the total was deemed worthy of listing as a stand alone lot with the rest being bulked up.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I am skeptical.
    I did bag a 1946 Australian HALF penny, metal detecting. So close.

11. lordmarcovan

What makes you skeptical, out of curiosity? Is there something specific about the coin? Or were you referring to something else?

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The same person selling a large number of the same coin which has a lower mintage. The photo is just a photo and the seller hasn't used 35 different photos,
    so you don't know what your coin is going to look like. If he sends the correct coin or sends any coin at all. Feedback is unreliable on EBay.

13. lordmarcovan

I do not necessarily find a small accumulation of a key date (particularly one with a six-figure mintage, in a popular series) to be all that unusual.

But if somebody is indeed offering multiple lots while using the same (stock) photo to sell several different coins (if that’s the case here), then yeah, that’s a possible red flag.

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me and having that much isn't suspicious at all.This isn't like someone having 30 1916 D mercs.Rarity doesn't mean valuable which in this case is true.It's a average affordable key date world coin so a small hoard isn't surprising at all and acceptable.

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I agree but I've seen this plenty on the bay.Seller is probably just lazy and doesn't want to do multiple pictures.This is quite common with coin hoards of the same variety.

16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I actually bought this exact coin from a member here who found a small horde of them at his LCS. I paid about $40. Nothing seems weird to me. If the seller was in Russia, then you wonder.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted