Nice Struck through copper filings 82D Lg. Dt. 95% CU LMC

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by silentnviolent, Dec 24, 2011.

1. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The one feature that looks somewhat promising is the filament that enters the back of Lincoln's head. But an examination under a microscope is a must. Feel free to send it to me, but contact me first at mdia1@aol.com.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Have you tried pure acetone to clean the glue, if that is what it is?

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'm sorry, but I thoroughly believe in the 1st Commandment of Numismatics: "Thou shalt not clean thy coins" and, having already tried it with alcohol I'd rather just leave it to Mike... I don't believe it is glue, and so really see no point in trying any harder to remove what I think is a retained strike through. :) Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll gladly pay the $5 to find out.

5. silentnviolent

Right, and that isn't the only area like that... it also underlines IN G and curves down into the top of his head, and back up between W and E in WE, across through the bottom of T, and underlines RU in TRUST. Note: I couldn't see all the stuff going on in the word TRUST until after the isopropyl alcohol bath :)

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Using acetone is not considered "cleaning" a coin as acetone is not capable of chemically reacting with coinage metals under normal circumstances. It only removes surface contamination/debris and nothing else

7. silentnviolent

I know. It is conservation. But, so is alcohol. I will try it though, later tonight when I'm at my Dad's house where he has pure acetone on hand. I do not. Will post the pics after. I'm pretty confident in my assessment of it, less so in my pics until I replace my magnifier. I don't think there's a store open today though.... I'll see later.

8. silentnviolent

Update

This coin has been sent today to Mike Diamond for error authentication/diagnosis. This is one of a group of 4; each has its own thread here on CT, and will be updated accordingly. I'm coming out of my shell a bit folks! This is the first batch of coins I've ever sent anywhere for any reason! I feel both nervous and excited about this... and I hope those interested will stay tuned and learn the results as I do..... keeping fingers crossed! :)

9. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Looks like brass struck into it.

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

like I told you earlier when glue or something dries up on a coin this protects the part of the coin that is under the dried stuff. when something removes the protective coating the area that was protected will be nice and shiny like a new coin. if this turns out to be a glue coin don't feel bad because glue can sometimes trick us.

11. silentnviolent

Mr. Diamond received my coins today! Via email, his determination on this coin is: "The 1982-D cent is stained and chemically etched." I don't like to paraphrase a professional opinion, hence the quote. Bummer, but while I concede it has staining and chemical etching would explain the bright red strip, I'm having a tough time understanding how that raised filament at the back of Lincoln's head, previously discussed, would have been caused by etching. Couldn't it be a damaged strike through? hhhmmmm.....

12. silentnviolent

And then there was blue sky!

Mr. Diamond provided a response: "The filament rests on the surface of the coin. It must have caused some corrosion or chemical etching, as in some areas it ate into the underlying metal slightly. Either that or it left a residue in the form of a shallow channel." I don't like to paraphrase a professional opinion, hence the quote.

This explains it all to me. Thank you very much Mr. Diamond. What I thought was struck in is actually resting on it. Bummer. But, you know what I bet it is? Looks a lot like the wire from a wire feed welder.

13. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

ok you was right all along!

14. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Well, I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;)

No offense, Rascal...
    Although your persistence is often confused with stubborrness.

-Brian

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Brian that is because I'm persistent and stubborn. when I know I'm right about something I always stick to my own opinions. sometimes I'm right and every now and then I have been known to make a few mistakes but not very many. I can't help it if I know a little about coins , I have been collecting them almost full time along with my art glass collection for nearly 50 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted