New to Collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yuri, Apr 18, 2014.

1. yuri

yuri Member

I am new to collecting coins and therefore full of questions.
    I don't seem able to ask a question in the ask question section of the site though?!
    As a new arrival the ask question section would be the one I would be posting most of all, can anyone explain to me why I have had my account limited in this way? I'm not trying to cause bother, but I simply cannot fathom the logic of not being able to ask questions when it's the very thing a new arrival is bound to be full of?
    Please don't anyone get angry with me, I simply am without knowledge.
    Help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't know the answer to your question, but welcome to the forum and go ahead and ask a question. :)

yuri likes this.
  4. yuri

yuri Member

Thank you for your friendly reply John,
    as I am as green as grass and only possess coins left to me by my late father, I ask in all innocence, is cleaning coins good or bad?

5. yuri

yuri Member

Oh, what is slabbing by the way?

6. John Anthony

7. yuri

yuri Member

Then am I sad or weird because I want to hold the coin, not a piece of plastic?

8. yuri

yuri Member

And my other question about cleaning did you miss it or were you too shocked to answer?
    I am as green as grass, I came on here to learn so please don't think I am trying to be funny, I'm just a bit dumb at the moment.

9. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Cleaning coins is not a good idea, especially for the novice, since that can ruin the value and collector appeal of a coin.

yuri likes this.
  10. John Anthony

It depends on the coins and the type of cleaning. Common coins of little value don't suffer much devaluation from cleaning, simply because they aren't worth much to begin with. Less common coins can be ruined if they are not conserved properly. Your safest course of action is not to clean your coins at all. Post pictures of them on this forum and you'll get some good, experienced advice.

yuri likes this.
  11. yuri

yuri Member

I will try and post some images. If the image system fails me, is it allowed to post the images in a blog and then post a link to it? I have been banned this morning for doing so on another forum. I'm now understandably timid.

12. John Anthony

No. Speaking only for myself, I dislike slabs intensely. But they do serve a purpose. If I were buying a rare and expensive coin, I would want the security of knowing that it was at least authenticated by a reputable TPG. But I'm not rich, so that's not a problem I have to deal with, lol.

yuri likes this.
  13. yuri

yuri Member

TPG?

14. John Anthony

I think you need a certain amount of posts on the forum before you can add images or links - I'm not sure about that. But if you're having problems, send me a PM and I'll give you my email. You can send the pictures to me and I'll post them.

15. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Third Party Grader (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, etc.)

16. John Anthony

Third Party Grader - the company that grades and encapsulates a coin. The most reputable ones are PCGS, NGC, and ANACS (for US coins).

17. yuri

yuri Member

18. yuri

yuri Member

This is one of my coins, please let me know if you can see it?

19. yuri

yuri Member

20. yuri

yuri Member

I have posted a coin, do you see a photo or a little square with a red cross in it, like the site I got banned from?

21. John Anthony

I can see it. Don't clean it, it looks fine just as it is. It's well-circulated, but cleaning it would only diminish what value it has.

Draft saved Draft deleted