New shape £1 coin announced.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by daveydempsey, Mar 18, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

4. daveydempsey

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

In the U.S. the vending machine people always keep them from changing the coins. They say it's too expensive to convert them. I think it is interesting that 3 percent of pounds are fake. Who is making them and how?

6. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

the bad guys...obviously

spirityoda and chrisild like this.
  7. daveydempsey

The last biggest seizure were from Italy, they caught millions of them before they got into circulation.
    Illegal immigrant east European gangs are mostly to blame.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Pretty interesting ...

=> the new Pound is kinda like a hybrid of the Canadian Loonie + Toonie

loonie too.jpg Toonie.jpg

... I like it

=> hmmm, I am very curious to see what they'll choose for the reverse?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. onecenter

onecenter Member

Looks like another winner from the British Royal Mint. It should add more interest to my extensive proof decimal collection.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Amsterdam is not in Italy, and not exactly in Eastern Europe either. ;) Two stories from last year ...
    http://www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/4?&id=2456 (English)
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/22133359/__Ponden_vervalst_in_A_dam__.html (Dutch)
    ... and a new one:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ehind-decision-to-replace-1-coin-9210251.html (English)

Christian

13. onecenter

onecenter Member

Thank you for these stories. I would think that the British Royal Mint would move quicker to begin minting new 12-sided one pound coins and get them into circulation.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, three years may be a little long. Then again, prior to the introduction in 2017 there will be consultations with the vending industry, machines need to be adapted, and there will also be a design contest (I think) for the reverse. If there suddenly was a flood of counterfeits (considerably more than what they have these days), all this could be done faster, but I don't think there is actually a reason to hurry ...

Christian

15. onecenter

onecenter Member

Very true. Also to consider, the British government has also withdrawn legal tender status to decimal coins that have been reduced in size or eliminated from the coinage system. Examples are the half penny in 1984, the five pence and ten pence reduced in size in 1990 and 1992, respectively and the fifty pence was trimmed down in 1997. The larger versions of the 5-, 10- and 50-pence are no longer legal tender. To pull out all the counterfeits, the government may do the same and withdraw legal tender status of the 1983-2016 coins.

I would not be surprised to see that the same action could be taken once a large number of new 12-sided one pound coins are minted and well into circulation. The bimetallic two-pound coin took two years to implement, but the sheer number of one pound coins needed for daily commerce would be extremely large. Back in 1983, when the first nickel-brass one pound coins were issued, just over 443 million of the coins had to be minted. Undoubtedly, a similar number would be required for circulation three years hence.

wyvern likes this.
  16. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If dollar coins circulated in the USA the US mint would have to combat counterfeiting - the Sacagawea dollars are counterfeited in Colombia and circulated in Ecuador where they use US dollars.

NOS likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*rats* ... I was hoping for a bit more from the ol' reverse ...

=> oh well, at least it's not the Royal baby and mother!!

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, if there were any circulating coins (I mean, actually in circulation) above the 0.25 denomination in the US, they may have to be better protected against counterfeiting.

And Steve, this is merely a prototype. Note the "2014" date (which coins that are issued in 2017 are unlikely to have ;) ) and the mint's logo on the other side ...

Christian

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Roger that, squadron leader ...

... I'm still hopeful that they'll come-up big with a fantastic reverse!!

21. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

First I heard of them demonetizing the old ones; last time I was in England (1992) both the old and new ones were simultaneously in circulation (presumably, this was right at the transitional period). I even got a few pre-decimal coins in circulation then. Figuring out how much money I had at any time was kind of challenging lol... but I got a lot of great coins for my collection (I swear I must have taken home almost 20 pounds face value worth of British coins). They had already discontinued the 1 pound note then, as I recall. Felt a little weird having a pocketful of coins that at the time were worth about $2 US each!

Draft saved Draft deleted