New member interested in ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nathanj485, Apr 20, 2014.

1. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

My name is Nathan and I'm new to this forum, of course. I just started collecting ancients with an interest in Greeks. I currently own a Kamarina tetras and a Cherronesos hemidrachm. I am looking at purchasing a good quality Athenian tetradrachm ASAP. I love coins with animals, and I have a particular affinity towards owls, hence the Athens and Kamarina coins. So I just wanted to say hi to everyone out there and would love to connect to other avid Ancient Greek coin collectors. Like I said, I am new and wish to absorb as much knowledge as I can right now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

welcome to the forums, new ancients collector here as well, show off your coins in the ancients forum, would love to see em and put what your looking for in the buy, sell trade forum, lotta ancient collectors here , u might get a hit....

4. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Thanks for the advice.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

One little bit from your introductory post worries me Nathan. The part when you said you are looking for one ASAP. Don't, just don't. The ancient market is very thinly traded. If you make up your mind you need any ancient NOW you will most assuredly overpay. Ancients, even more than US coins, is a hobby where patience will reward you handsomely. If you are new to ancients, I would recommend some good books, going to Doug Smith's website and reading his articles, and many other things.

Patience, sir. I do remember how exciting my first ancients were, how cool they were, how I wanted more and more and more of them. However, most of those early purchases were not very good purchases, and if I had the money back I would not buy the same thing again. Educate yourself as much as possible before spending too much please.

6. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Thank you for your advice medoraman. ASAP was the wrong choice word. I am taking my time looking for this coin especially with all the modern imitations out there. What I meant to say was that the Athens tetradrachm plans to be my next purchase before any other.

7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

nah, if you want one soon, just get it, lifes too short. you can then move on to your next one........
    If in a few years you can upgrade, sell the old one and do it. The more you handle, the quicker you will learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted