New Large Cent pickup, what would you grade it?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by non_cents, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

get that sucker slabbed!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see no evidence of cleaning or recolor ing I don't blame you for being paranoid on an ebay purchase ;) I make no secret of my dislike for that place!

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

This one is gonna go to PCGS. :) I'll keep you guys updated.

5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Simon's coin got to Cow City today - I wasn't quite set up for copper pictures, but I snapped a quick one for you guys with our setup:
    smeyer_1853.jpg

non_cents likes this.
  6. Mainebill

From that pic I'm saying au 55-58 just a touch of a rub

7. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

My thoughts exactly, Bill.

8. non_cents

I'd agree with high AU, though honestly I think it could potentially go MS60 if the graders are having a good day. :D

As it is right now, if I had to guess it would be AU-58.

9. Mainebill

A good clean coin with lots of eye a peal is one I'd be happy to own

10. Mainebill

Totally agreed is hard to call I've had coins I sent them I'd sure were au and posdibly au 55 they call xf. And others I'd call xf 45 they call au 55 or vf 20 and they call either f-12 or vf-30 or ms 62 and they call it 64 you never know where there gonna call it especially lately I think pcgs getting a bit tougher especially on high circ grades and NGC a shade looser on the same it depends on the series pcgs is real tough on trades lately and fairly liberal on bust silver is my opinion I got a batch I need to send in soon myself

11. non_cents

Well, good news and bad news.

Good news: Coin made MS.

Bad news: Details, questionable color.

Kind of frustrated with that, the color looked so good. Looks naturally toned, I can't see any evidence of recoloration...PCGS photos will be up within the next few days and I will post them then.

12. Mainebill

That's very surprising especially for a brown coin it looked good in the pics to me too me I'd crack it out and send to NGC I've done that in the past with decent results

non_cents likes this.
  13. non_cents

When I get the PCGS photos I'll post 'em and see what people think. If after those photos the general consensus is that the coin should have graded problem-free, I'll consider resubmitting it...

14. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I think pcgs has lost their minds, thats one nice coin, can't wait to see pcgs images

non_cents likes this.
  15. non_cents

Ok guys, here is the photo:

[​IMG]

McBlzr and John Anthony like this.
  16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You collected a beautiful coin. Enjoy the coin. Who cares what one grader at PCGS thinks? Everybody's gone slab crazy. How about making up our own minds whether we like a coin or not? I'd crack it out and never bother with a TPG again.

Mainebill and non_cents like this.
  17. Mainebill

Agreed I buy mostly slabbed coins as I buy them from photos and I want the assurance of genuine if I can hold in hand I have zero problem buying raw coins I do it all the time. As to their grading I feel pcgs has been all over the place lately I just bought a 1797 large cent vf details enviro damage that's cleaner and less porous then over 50% of those graded I'm thinking real serious about cracking it out and re submitting it as it turns it from a $600 coin to a $1600+ coin especially as it's a r-3 with cool die cracks all over it

Draft saved Draft deleted