Need some info on a coin - 1385 (2006) Iranian azadi

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by e30kgk, Mar 25, 2014.

1. e30kgk

e30kgk Member

I just received a coin in a deal from a user on another forum, and have a concern about it - namely that I can't find any record of it existing, or a picture to compare it to, or dimensions, or anything of the sort.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/gpRBx

The coin in question is an Iranian azadi, dated 1385SH (2006). Numista lists the azadi being made up to 1996. Krause lists a half azadi in 2002 and 2004, but no full azadi since 1996. The 1996 azadi (KM# 1264) seems to be the same coin.

My other, more minor concern, is that the reeding on the edge is very strange. It is almost as if it's reversed. Instead of the reeding being a series of indentations into the coin, the reeding on this one appears to be a series of extremely shallow, narrow ridges, but in relief.

Basically, can anyone point me to a reference saying that this coin actually exists? Even better would be a good high-res picture and some dimensions. Does anyone have a known good one of these they can check the edge on?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well I looked and found nothing. it looks very much like the 1996 KM#1264 but the bottom writing is different. my guess is that you have a pattern coin maybe ?

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am out of ideas. I did a search in my catalogs in the surrounding countries of Iran and still came up with nothing in my catalogs...my first guess Turkey...wrong. lol

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Ta Da. I figured it out. Your coin is indeed Iran KM#1264 your date he gave you was incorrect. it is SH1375(1996) I figured it out looking up in my catalog what that up side down heart number was/is 5... in the "standard international numeral systems under "Malay-Persian numbers vs. the western our number system. that up side down heart looks like a 5 meaning there are only 4 dates for this coin:
    1370-1991
    1373-1994
    1374-1995
    1375-1996
    yours is 1375-1996
    .900 gold, weight 8.1360g. or 0.2354 oz.
    grade/value
    XF-$BV, UNC-$450.00
    awesome coin by the way.:D

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wait the date he gave you 1385 is correct Persian number wise on your coin. ugh! I am not sure now :mad:. this is gonna drive me nuts.:( what does your coin weigh ? and what is the size of your coin in millimeters ?

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

ask.com:
    Pah·la·vi
    [pah-luh-vee]
    NOUN [PLURAL PAH·LA·VIS]
    shah of Iran 1941–79; in exile after 1979 (son of Riza Shah Pahlavi).
    shah of Iran 1925–41.
    (lowercase) a former gold coin of Iran, equal to 20 rials.

10. e30kgk

e30kgk Member

Haha, no, the date the seller gave me was incorrect all around - I think he said this was a 1375 (but he also said that the 1324 pahlavi I got at the same time was a 1334). If that were the case, it'd be easy. Unfortunately, that date is definitely 1385.

11. e30kgk

e30kgk Member

It weighs 8.11g, and is approximately 22 mm in diameter. I'm also pretty confident it's .900 gold. It looks like it, sounds like it, and has specific gravity like it.

12. e30kgk

e30kgk Member

I did see that earlier. However, I'm not sure how confident I am using an ebay listing (one that clearly has some issues - broken english, inconsistently listed purity, etc.) to authenticate this.

After Pahlavi refers to the previous gold coin of Iran, the pahlavi. I see you saw my post in the recent acquisitions thread - this coin is the one in the middle, the two beside it are pahlavis. On the left is a 1338 (1959), and on the right is a 1324 (1945). The earlier ones are in super-high relief, and are absolutely incredible in hand.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

1 last thought. I only have catalogs up to 2013. the 2014 might have your coin listed ???

Draft saved Draft deleted