Mystery gold 3 Dukaten piece. German?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by princeofwaldo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Was wondering if anyone else has come across one of these. Purchased from Harlan J. Berk in 2003. Does not have a date, but I suspect it was struck between 1957 and 1959. Obviously no earlier than 1953. Plain edge. 0.980 fine as indicated on the reverse. Total of 0.3372 Troy ounces net. Slightly larger than a US quarter dollar. I sent it to PCGS, they didn't know what it was. Called NGC and they said they don't slab them.

If you look in Bruce - "Unusual Coins of The World" there are a number of similar pieces listed with the same reverse, though none of them in the 3 Dukaten denomination. There's one with Kennedy on it, and a host of other non-portrait coins, some of them quite attractive. According to Bruce, these were all struck in West Germany, which makes this probably the only coin ever struck in West Germany with Queen Elizabeth II on it that I am aware of. Very attractive portrait in my opinion, nicer than many of the British issues.

Is anyone aware of a comprehensive guide that lists all of these coins? If they really are coins, they do have a denomination, but no date or nationality which in a lot of ways makes them closer to medals than coins. edited My other option is the local coin dealer, and an almost certain trip to the melting pot of what is probably a fairly scarce "coin". With over $600 of gold in it, it's probably doomed to destruction.

IMG_2518.jpg IMG_2519.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They used to call those coins but they really aren't. And they have no value to speak of beyond bullion content because nobody collects them any more. Even when they did there were very few. In my life I knew of 1 person who had most of them and he ended up practically giving them away before he passed away. And that was some years ago.

Countries all over the world used to make these and sell them and proceeds went to fight world hunger. But you can find virtually nothing about it anymore even on Google. About all I can remember is that it was part of a GAO program and they known as GAO coins.

4. DCH

DCH Member

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ahhhhh - I was reading the 980 as gao :eek:

6. princeofwaldo

Thank you for the explanation. Somehow, like everyone else, I keep thinking I will one day buy something for melt that turns-out to be a great rartity. Actually, I've come close a few times getting great deals on coins that turned-out to be very desirable. Doesnt sound like this is going to be one of them. Harlan Berk was all to eager to get rid of it for melt back when I bought it. Not much room for it to be worth much more than melt now.

7. princeofwaldo

How about that, another one still in existence! Now I won't feel so bad if this one gets melted. But seriously, that's more than I would pay for the coin, and Rare Coin Collector is usually extremely competitive on world gold coins. I've purchased several coins from them, outstanding service and really great prices on some of their stuff. edited

8. Diane

Diane New Member

In reference to the 3 dukaten gold piece.

I have two of these coins. They pre-date the reference on the URL http://www.rarecoincollector.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=7637 . I have an original delivery receipt for one of these coins, delivered from Munchen Germany to a bank in Canada in 1959 as well I have previously seen one listed at auction with a suggested mint date of 1952-53 struck to commemorate her accension to the throne. They are very beautiful. They also come in a 10 dukaten 1 oz. larger size. Wish I had one of those. The depiction of the queen on the coin is that of a very young woman younger than she was in 1965 which is the date that rarecoincollector suggests.
    The obverse depicts the rose, the leek, the thistle and the shamrock or clover which are the flowers of the combined countries of The United Kingdom.
    Oh ho ! I just went searching on line and I see that it appears you have listed yours for sale and that you have found out that it was from 1953.

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's one of those items that if you wanted to get rid of it in a quick sale, it would be bullion value. You can probably find someone willing to pay more, but chances are that it would sit around a long time before that happened.

10. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Umm, many coins and medals have more than two sides. :) If you see "Bayer. Staatsmünze" on the edge, you know that the piece was minted by the Bavarian State Mint (today Hauptmünzamt) in Munich. And yes, that medal was issued when Elizabeth became queen.

Christian

12. Diane

Diane New Member

Thank you for the information, Chrisild. I have now looked at the edge of the one coin that I keep at home (the other is in one of my safety deposit boxes). There does not appear to be anything on the edge side of the coin/medal. However I do know that it is from Munich because it was purchased through the Bayerische Hypotheken-U.Wechsel-Bank in Munich (Munchen). I have the original bank transfer receipt which is dated and has the details of the peice as well as the purchase price. Thanks again, Diane

Draft saved Draft deleted