my new NGC PL MS 63 1888 O morgan dollar toned rainbow

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by brewerbonsai, Jun 16, 2011.

1. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

fg.jpg ki.jpg

Just wanted to show off my new morgan dollar. Its an older generation NGC holder, so I'm considering a re-submission down the road, but not sure. Its also my first morgan with a toned rainbow! If any of you guys could tell me why some coins tone all over & some tone with rainbows, it would be news to me. Thanks in advance for any insight on that. I find the coin to be a very powerful addition to my collection & just wanted to show it off. Thanks ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Simple answer - random chance. There can be literally hundreds if not thousands of variables involved in how a given coin tones. Any one of those many variables will alter the end result.

5. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

Thats what I thought. Not a simple answer. Thanks

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Looks nice. How about some pictures of both sides. As for re-submitting I would probably skip. I have heard(don't know this for fact) that NGC has gone overboard on giving details holders to toned coins. Again only what I have heard - maybe that was here some where. :)

7. aicgsgrading

aicgsgrading Numismatics Professional

Stunning... I Love Morgan's!!!

8. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

9. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

I posted some pics of the reverse, another rainbow! I agree 100% about the toning affecting the grade if I re-submitted. I was leaning towards not sending this this coin. I like the "feeling" that the old PCGS/NGC slabs have. Thanks

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, they haven't gone overboard, but they have become more critical, like PCGS, when it comes to raw toners.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted