My grandma's 10 Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by JonBar, Apr 17, 2014.

1. JonBar

JonBar New Member

These 10 coins have been in my grandma's house forever. I'm just wondering what they'd be worth, and if they'd be anything more than melt value. (I'm really new to this so bear with me)
    The years are:
    1878 7tf
    1880 S
    1887 O
    1889 O
    1889 O
    1890 O

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

They are nice original uncleaned coins. Unfortunately, nothing rare or expensive by date and mintmark. Perhaps someone with better eyes here on CT can tell if you've got any rare varieties.

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Definitely worth more than what, their $16 melt value? Morgan and Peace dollars carry a nice premium. For common morgans I would say $20-25 each.

6. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Welcome to coin talk !
    Very nice jpgs.

7. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

It looks to me like some of the coins are cleaned, like the '78 and '80-S. One of the '89's and one of the '91's are damaged, and that '91 also has some other problems as well.

medjoy likes this.
  8. JonBar

JonBar New Member

I'm not sure if any of the coins are cleaned. I certainly never cleaned them and I think my grandma just kept them in a box with a bunch of other coins I'll ask about over time. I think she forgot about the coins so I don't know if they are cleaned.

Collector1966 likes this.
  9. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

There are many ways to "clean" a coin. Sometimes just rubbing a coin with a cloth will leave "hairlines" in the coin and give it a "cleaned" appearance. When I enlarged your photos, it looked like there were hairlines in the first two coins, although it could just have been the way the photos were taken.

10. JonBar

JonBar New Member

Oh okay. As a novice I can't really tell even in person. But thanks I'll get them looked at.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looked to me like some of them were hairlined, too, and the rim damage on those two would definitely relegate them to a details grade.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted