My First Crown

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mat, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

If you read my posts regularly, you'd know I always loved queen victoria coinage & if it wasnt for ancients, I would solely collect her. One thing I never owned was a big silver british crown & I saw this coin & HAD TO HAVE IT. I loved the toning & all.

Where a coin speaks, this one shouted.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

That's a beauty Mat!

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cool coin. Crowns simply do not appear to be that common. I got one of the dude before her, (I think dated 1820), recently simply because I do not see them that often.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks, jj00

William IV. I dont see his often either.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That looks really cool, nice addition!

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Mat very nice 1890 Crown . Queen Victoria coinage is one I to collect penny thru $20.00 pounds gold. She was one queen that made so many type coins before Great Britain kingdom got smaller country wise.

8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

love the 'Vicky' crowns........plenty about and BillIV too....just search on ebay, always a few knocking about. of course, if you want to collect rare coins of the future, try and collect 'melt' grade coins as these will be 'rare' in 10 years time, especially as most are finding their way into the smelt pot.. people may even rub em a bit to grade them down..;)

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's gorgeous!

10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Nice coin!

I wonder how often these large coins were actually used in England at the time.

:)

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Probably no different then U.S.:confused:

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Very nice Mat. I like it.......:)

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A crown was a lot of money to the average working class man on the street in 1890. Who knows what the average daily wage was in the day? I would guess this would represent between a day's pay for a skilled worker and a week's pay for the unskilled and impoverished fortunate enough to have any work. Am I close?

14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I got a crown about 15yrs ago, i cracked my tooth :D,very cool Mat, i saw one one these a my coin club, if its like that one it's a very large coin, i want one...;)

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

16. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

crown 1890 mintage 997,862--jubilee head crowns issued from 1887 golden jubilee year until 1892.a golden time in british history the working people would have had these,plenty of wealth at the time.compare to the reign of William iv 1830-1837 very few crowns issued,will cost thousands of pounds to buy now--this crown a very nice example will sell in uk for about £40

17. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

George 111 1760-1820,these are fairly common but nice coins--George iv 1820 -1830 not so common but still easy to get--willam iv 1830-1837 very rare cost thousands to buy now

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well I just picked mine up from the same bullion seller I bought a Ostrogothic gold piece from. He got a collection of old stuff, and had no idea what it was really. Mine is an uncleaned xf/au, which I thought was not so easy to find, and I liked the price.

19. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

yes you are correct,to get one in that condition is a bit special-vey well done

20. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Congrats Mat!
    That coin is a looker! Great toning !

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool addition ... congrats, brother Mat!!

Draft saved Draft deleted