Museum of atomic energy dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FreakyGarrettC, Dec 18, 2008.

1. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jesh

Jesh New Member

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

5. FreakyGarrettC

6. Jesh

Jesh New Member

1938 JEFFERSON NICKEL AWARD WINNING DESIGN Darrell Crane, President of The Jefferson Full Step Nickel Club, in conjunction with Ron Landis (master die engraver of The Gallery Mint Museum) and S.E.G.S. (Sovereign Entities Grading Service), presents The Jefferson Nickel 1938 Award Winning Design by Felix Schlag.
    A limited production of one thousand nine hundred thirty-eight (1,938) Uncirculated coins and one thousand nine hundred thirty-eight (1,938) Proof coins will be struck. They will be .999 silver, with a diameter of 21.2mm (standard nickel size). Each encapsulated coin, uncirculated and proof quality, will be numbered 1 thru 1938.
    This beautiful coin will surely be a collector's item. You may request a specific number or matching numbers for both uncirculated and proof coins. Specific numbers will be reserved on a first come, first served basis only. Pricing is: MATTE UNC. $38.00 and PROOF $42.00. Shipping and handling is included in these prices.
    Click for Obverse or Reverse enlargement on CD-ROM
    [​IMG]
    Photos of the original Felix Schlag plaster molds. In the 1930's, the Section of Fine Arts in Washington, D.C. sent leaflets to artists announcing competitions and news pertaining to government activities relating to art. In late 1937 or early 1938, this department invited all American sculptors to compete for a new five cent coin, to be known as the Jefferson nickel. It was the first and only competition of this kind ever held in this country.
    Prospective competitors were admonished that there were specific legal and other conditions which must be accurately complied with in creating a model. The models, in order to be acceptable, had to be of plaster, not exceeding 8-1/2 inches in diameter, the extreme depth of the relief, 5/32 of an inch.
    The best sculptors in the country competed. There were 390 pairs of models submitted. On April 20th 1938, Felix Schlag received a telephone call from the Superintendent of the Section of Painting and Sculpture, advising him that he had won the competition. However, changes were requested.
    Nine suggestions were offered and Mr. Schlag was advised to submit a black and white drawing indicating the revisions. On July 21, 1938, Mrs. Nellie Taylor Ross, then Director of The Mint, notified Mr. Felix Schlag that the acting Secretary of the Treasury had approved his revised design.
    Production of the Jefferson Nickel started in late 1938.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

8. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

More on the Nickel:

When the public design contest was announced for a new nickel design,
    approximately 390 artists entered for the $1,000 purse before the deadline of
    April 15, 1938. The competing sculptors had to submit two plaster models.
    The first sculpture, of the coin's obverse, was to be a lifelike portrait of the
    United States' third President, Thomas Jefferson, and the second was to be of
    the new nickel's reverse depicting Jefferson's home, Monticello, which is
    located near Charlottesville. The judges for the competition were three
    prominent sculptors, and the Mint Director, Nellie Tayloe. Just nine days
    after the deadline, the winner was announced. It was Felix Schlag.
    Even though Schlag's designs won the contest, the federal Fine Arts Commission
    rejected his design for the reverse of the coin. Schlag had captured the
    more artistic perspective in a side view of the mansion, but the commission
    insisted on a full frontal depiction minus the landscaping. Such a major
    design change required a new thinner style of lettering to be use on the coin,
    as well as a huge risk in the loss of detail on the building's facade due to the
    depth of relief required. A refusal to comply would mean a forfeiture of
    the prize money, so Felix Schlag did what was demanded of him. With the
    designs completed, production began in the second week of September 1938.
    The new nickel weighed 5 grams, with a composition of 25% nickel and 75% copper,
    a diameter of 21.2 mm, a plain edge, and the mintmark appearing to the right of
    Monticello.

9. Jesh

Jesh New Member

10. taz

taz devilish for coins

Don't you mean "Hot!" ;)

11. FreakyGarrettC

So where would I buy one of those nickels? :)

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Those are pretty cool, I think if I can find them for a reasonable price I might pick one up. Kind of like the Frank Gasparo Liberty Dollar reproductions they have made. I really want one, but I'll need to find a decent price.

13. desertgem

I remember the foot x-ray machine at Buster Brown Shoes stores back in the 50s. You could stick your shoed feet in and Zaaaaaapppp, you could see how well your toes fit. No time limit, lots of fun......probably how Handsome Toad got his ribbit feet. Unbelievably the owner would roll the machine out on his sidewalk for passerbys to stop and xray their feet. We kids soon learned we could put frogs, mice , very small dogs, and best of all , a snake under the "ray". :yawn:Remember this was about the time of the original "Day the earth stood still" movie, with the robot death ray:D, Hey we were just kids!

Nothing died, honest.

Jim

ck1of2 likes this.
  14. FreakyGarrettC

LOL. Awesome! :bow:

15. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

LOL Jim, we are both old enough to have played with mercury as well when we are kids.

16. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Sometime last year there was a thread on here about these dimes and so I kept an eye out for one. Then early this year, my local coin shop had acquired one from a collect that someone brought in. I asked them how much and they just said it was mine. Sweet. Couldn't beat that price!
    Radiated Dime

17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Glad to see there are some "older" collectors out there... for those of us who grew up in the fifties, it's a wonder we're still alive. No problem with getting as many X-rays as you wanted, lead paint was OK.... and rubbing mercury into our pocket change while eating lunch (every coin looked "proof") was an everyday thing. So I guess a few irradiated dimes were no problem either.

18. FreakyGarrettC

Lol

19. desertgem

Yeah, we can laugh about it now as we didn't know better then. Wait until the current generation gets to 60, I bet half will need hearing enhancement by then. Of course medicine may have cochlea transplants by then.

Lately I have been wondering if we are too ignorant about if quantum (mechanics) forces such as dimension spanning strings might affect our health, and how things in our universe ( such as rap music) might disturb the hell out of a parallel universe, or visa versa. Since certain quantum particles can pop in and out of existance, what do they do as they pop in and out of our brain neurons?:eek:.....:goofer:

Jim

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Who says they don't? All existence is a matter of probability...

Ruben

21. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to tell the story to go with the pictures, but the link to the Oak Ridge Associated Universities is posted above: http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/medalsmementoes/dimes.htm
    And that article not only tells the whole story, neutrons and all, but closes with references that include the very Coin World article which I wrote and was going to quote from.
    Irradiated Dimes _0002.jpg

ck1of2 and Circus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted