More uninspring Miltary commems in the Pipeline

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

http://news.coinupdate.com/cfa-desi...-five-star-generals-commemorative-coins-1459/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I'm looking forward to these, especially MacArthur.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

which is only proof that he did return

5. krispy

krispy krispy

"Uninspiring"? Please elaborate with some of your own reasons Ruben. It would help to make your thread (and the other numerous threads you start in the same way) more than just copy+paste-a-thread-into-existence have an actual "talk" or "coin chat" element to them, hence the functioning of this forum. Without saying more, it's just another place on the web to encounter something most of us already subscribe to and or have read before seeing it here.

Overall, I think that these renderings the designers submit to the CFA just start out too photographic, in part in their level of detail what the final coins will actually look like. They never seem to achieve the same level of 3-dimensionality that is implied in the renderings. That partly comes from the designers who are clearly working from famous portraits, particularly in these designs. Those historical reference images are 2-dimensional plus the rendering software is manipulated in 2-dimension devices. It seems to limit final output from having any hands on artistic sculptural feel to them. Figures, for instance, end up looking as technically drafted as the aircraft and ships. The typefaces, instead of being designed for pleasing forms and ease of reading, just come off looking utilitarian.

Not to mention, adding this many more one-year offered commemorative coins to the currently large product line up is really going to tax peoples interest, stretch those thinner budgets and who knows what else the mintages will do to collectors overall Mint madness and sentiment where all that stuff is concerned.

As an Ike collector, I have been anticipating the designs and have been following this coin since the coin legislation was approved a while back.

6. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Well, I for one am growing weary of the outpouring of military related commems.
    With so many great people and accomplishments in this country, why not honor them instead?

7. krispy

krispy krispy

TCG, Your idea sounds good to me, though this 5-star generals commemorative coin is already in as far as coin legislation goes and on the schedule for release in 2013. It's not like they will stop this one to accommodate an idea that many of us may welcome. We'll have to work for it to happen as hard as some groups lobby to get their commemorative issues passed into law to be minted.

8. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I also take umbrage at the dreadful designs of our commemorative coinage.
    The Mint needs to hire medallic artists who are experienced in working in a 3 dimensional art form.
    The last commem I thought was really attractive was the Jamestown issue.
    The dumbest was the Boy Scout commem which polical correctness forced to picture a girl.
    I'd get rid of the two useless "advisory" committees and hire/appoint an experienced artist to approve or reject proposed designs.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Wow, I actually really like the designs. the $5 gold has had some of the best designs in the past, and I guess they are going to keep on making good choices. Too bad circulated coins cant look even half this good.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The WWII history buff in me looks forward to the release date........

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I'd almost be willing to bet the US Mint is banking on a large percentage of The History Channel viewers to buy into these too! :D

12. green18

Military Channel too......:)

13. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

There are only two commems per year and in the last ten years, aside from the military, we’ve had the Boy Scouts, Louis Braille, The Wright Brothers, Lewis & Clark, the San Francisco Mint, Jamestown, Little Rock High School, Thomas Edison, the Salt Lake City Olympics, the Bald Eagle, Chief Justice John Marshall, and Benjamin Franklin. The recent tilt toward the military isn't too suprising since we have been at war. Besides, we do have the Girl Scouts to look forward to next year, so cheer up.

14. green18

[wonders if a 'guy' will be depicted on that coin..........]

15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I cannot help but notice the correlation between US coinage and ancient Rome's. In the early days of Rome they commemorated ideals such as equality and fairness. This was the period of the rise of the power of Rome, and its growing wealth. Later on, when in decline they started celebrating famous powerful Romans who had led them to greatness, maybe out of hope of another rising. Near the end, almost all coins were struck commemorating either their god, (asking for help), or glorifying their military.

So, how does everyone feel about US commemorative design choices now? Again, I am a war vet, and still simply dislike the militaristic theme this nation has taken. I will not be buying any of these coins.

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Why does MacArthur merit his own coin? What about the others? Especially Ike!
    MacArthur was FIRED by Truman! He had no respect for his CIC.

17. LFCfan

LFCfan Member

I enjoy WWII history, but none of the designs sparked my interest, nothing I felt I'd want to buy. As far as designs, I'd rather see more of a design commemorating the solider in the field, pilot in the fight or bomber, medic in the trenchs, etc rather than some general, but the Mint has a commemorative for each war. I think the two headed obverse doesn't work well either. But generally I agree, the Mint could do fewer miltaristic commemorative themes and pick more diverse themes.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Perth, Holland, Germany, New Zealand, Japan and China have all put out outstanding commemorative issues in the decade. There is no excuse for the lack of imaginative subjects, let alone the lousy execution. The states quarters looked like a HS project. The last commem with any taste was the Bald Eagle. Before that was PT Barnum and Bridgeport Ct.

19. LFCfan

LFCfan Member

I agree, maybe its' because Ike has already been on the dollar and other than Ike, MacArthur is the only general on the list that most American would even know.

My first thought was, were is Patton, but then I remembered he was only a four star general

20. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Without the Grunts that crawled around in the mud and the blood, those generals would be nobodies.

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Since I am not American, the coins do not really have to be appealing for me, but for people in the US. That being said, and since you used the word "everyone" ;) , all silver dollars issued after 2009 have military themes (or a military look, see the Scouts coin). In earlier years that was different; in fact I have some of those, e.g. Franklin, Desegregation, Jamestown ...

Then again it makes sense to look at the entire issue program. And that includes coins such as the ATB quarters, the Presidents, and the Native American dollars. So all in all, the mix of themes and variety of designs is much better than what the silver $1 coins may suggest.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted