misprinted dollar bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by shalhevet, Mar 30, 2011.

1. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

PM reply sent.

Regards.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

RickieB is the man! Listen to his advice. He won't steer you wrong.

@RickieB- How do you think this happened? The numbers on the reverse of the other note are in reverse suggesting a transfer.

Also, there is evidence of the two "5"'s in the correct postion on the front of the "error" note.

[​IMG]

4. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

It is very strange.

5. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

definitely a significant error. If RickieB hasn't given you any other advice, I highly recommend having it graded by PCGS or PMG first thing. You have many things going on in this note that are generally not found together. I'd say based on the condition of the note, you could get hundreds of $$$ for this note.

6. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

Wow. This is incredible. :)

7. Dr Kegg

You seriously got a great find. Unfortunately I've never found an error and the only other one I've seen in person will never be sold since I made the mistake of telling the owner how much it was worth. I've even offered to pay that amount!
    Anyway, congrats on your find!

8. RickieB

Guy's.. please keep in mind that the images were cropped and margins are present.
    The shift error is predominat with some other features.

9. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

Yes, there are margins. My scanner cropped the margins automatically for some strange reason.

10. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

You can't really tell from the picture, but it appears as if the Washington head stamp and the green serial numbers go through the back of all three dollars. Not sure if that matters any.

11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Without seeing the note in person, I have my doubts. Here is why. The plate position number is D2. This means this note was located in the lower left corner of the sheet of the notes. It is the bottom note in the first column of the sheet. The problem with the fed seal and fed bank numbers would have affected the entire sheet, not just this note. The alignment of the Fed Seal and the Fed Bank numbers on this note are consistent with the alignment of the Fed Seal and the upper set of Fed Bank numbers. The lower set of Fed Bank numbers would have been printed below this note either on the selvege of the sheet or off of it altogether since this is the bottom note on the sheet. I would expect to see the lower set of Fed Bank numbers from the note above this one somewhere near the top of this note in or just below the frame. Those numebrs are not there. The numbers that appear as what I will call a ghost image are consistent with an upper set of numbers not the lower set.

More questions than answers. My recommendation is to have the note examined in person by an expert. I am sure that RickieB has passed a few names on to you.

Please post again when you get a more definite answer.

12. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

I'm confused. You have your doubts that it's real?

13. Dr Kegg

ah, missed that the margins were cropped. Still a great error note though. I stick by my guns to have it authenticated/graded even without the margin issue.

14. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

For the education of us all, can you post what your recommendations were? A lot of us trust your knowledge, and I would like to know more of what you think on this....

15. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I do not doubt that this is a genuine $1.00 bill. My doubts are whether the error is legitimate or something done after the note had been released to circulation.

One thing that you have to understand is that no one, regardless of their expertise, should be telling you that this is a genuine error note based on viewing it as a scan. The only way to determine with any degree of accuracy whether this is a genuine error is to view the note in person.

There are some notes that have been altered after release that are easy to discern as faked errors based on knowledge of how notes are printed.

As an example, my wife brought a similar note home from the school she teaches at. The cashier at the food service held it back because she thought it strange also. IN this case, the Fed seal was also somewhere on the note that it should not be. That note was easy to detect as a fake error because none of the other design elements that should have been shifted also were not.

What makes your note intriguing is that the design elements that should be moved with the Fed seal (the Fed numbers) are moved also. What makes me question whether this is a legitimate error is the lack of the lower Fed numbers from the note above which I would expect to see on this note. There may be an explanation as to why these numbers do not appear, however, which is why I have also suggested you take it to an expert to examine in person.

16. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

I'm not an expert on errors, and I'm not going to try to authenticate anything from a scan either, but for what it's worth, I think I can see how this could happen at the BEP:

The serial numbering presses count *backward* within each print run, so the note ending in 87 was printed first, and is normal.

The 86 sheet would've had to slip out of place just as the black overprinting reached this bottommost note on the sheet. It looks like the overprint *just* touched the sheet in its normal position (leaving faint traces of the top of the two upper 5's and the top points of the Fed seal) before the sheet slipped upward, leaving the overprint much too low. Notice that the misplaced 5 on the left side is weak at its upper left corner, and the 5 on the right side is weak along its entire top edge--and these are exactly the parts of the 5's that show best in their proper locations higher on the note. It looks like the black overprint was normal on the top seven rows of notes on the sheet, but that the sheet slipped just as the overprint was getting to the bottom row; thus the lack of any black overprint from the note above. (The seals and district numerals are mounted on a large rotating cylinder, so the overprint does travel down the sheet this way rather than hitting the whole sheet at the same instant.)

The two 5's that should've appeared at the bottom of this note missed the paper entirely, and landed on whatever backing is behind the sheets in the press. Then when the next sheet (the one with the 85 note) came through, in proper alignment, the fresh ink of those two 5's was picked up by the back of that sheet, producing the offset 5's on the back of that note. It's likely that the 84 note would also have (fainter) offset 5's on the back, and maybe a few more notes would have them as well, until all the ink was wiped away.

'Course, just because it *could* happen, that doesn't mean it *did*. I'll join the chorus advising you to get these notes authenticated if you plan to sell them--you'll get a much better price if the potential buyers have no doubts about the genuineness of the error. :cool:

17. Dr Kegg

lettow is right in the last post. It is easy to say that a note is genuine or not based on a scan, but you cannot know for sure unless you either look at it up close and know what to look for, or have it authenticated. Most of the time I assert that a note may be genuine from the scans, but I always recommend sending it in for grading before being absolutely sure.
    Unfortunately, people altering notes happens all the time and they do it to try and get premium $$ on notes. Thanks for making sure the information was presented in the post lettow!

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I like it but don't know enough about them to tell you much.

19. RickieB

Bobbeth:

Thank you for the vote of confidence however, I too would hesitate to claim the validity of the note until I inspected it up close. Numbers has a very good summary of what happened to it as a possibility. With the images that were posted that showed no margins it lead one to believe that it could be a misalignment at first, but knowing that margings are present around the note pretty much rules that out. The 3rd print error is a good summary of what occured, however my thouhgts were a little different on the weak upper line segment of the #5 that can be seen on the face of the note. I like Numbers explanation on that better than my assumpiton because it is easier to see how it may have happened as he explained it.

I did send the OP a PM and we are discussing possibilities. The OP is concerned about me being an honest and upfront person. If you guy's do not mind, can you vouch for my integrity and trust? That is normal since the OP does not know me at all, but most of you folks do.

Thank you.

Regards,

RickieB

20. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Rickie Rocks. And I listen to him and he has never led me a stray.

21. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Without hesitation! RickieB- Honest as the day is long! You won't go wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted