Looking forward to the Chicago ANA? Maybe not...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Apr 22, 2014.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I've been to Chicago five times and I've never had a problem. It is a great city to visit. The trick is to stay out of the shady areas such as the South Side. I don't even need to read the article to know that most of the shootings are between fellow gangbangers. Essentially, as long as you don't go where you're not suppose to and get caught between the crossfire, there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    rzage likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Last year was my first time at the Chicago ANA. I stayed directly across from the convention center, and felt safe the whole time. But 45 shootings in 1 weekend. That's just freaking tragic, scary, and sad. Wow.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Chicago is as safe as any big city . Just stay out of areas you don't belong , mostly the West side and Certain areas on the South side . If you stay were the attractions are it's as safe as anyplace .

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    NOS likes this.
  7. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Well as the article mentions, five of the victims were children playing at a park. I agree that as long as you stay out of certain areas you'll probably be fine, but gun violence affects many more people than just gang members.

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Rosemont is not downtown Chicago.

Hiddendragon and mikenoodle like this.
  9. rzage

Unfortunately , spring brings to life dormant grudges between mostly the gangbangers and other idiots who don't take the time to learn to shoot straight , or do they really care who they hit . These parks are in gang neighborhoods and rival gangs will shoot at anything that moves even at innocent children .

10. rzage

Downtown Chicago is quite safe , in all my years living there , I've never felt unsafe . As a matter of fact Rosemont isn't even in Chicago it's a suburb and is quite safe .

mikenoodle likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It saddens me to see people say all of these things about my hometown as if it was Afghanistan. The real kicker is, most of the people who posted "facts" such as "I don't even need to read the article to know that most of the shootings are between fellow gangbangers.", or "Just stay out of areas you don't belong , mostly the West side and the South side .", (I lived on the South Side for over 12 years) are unfortunately made by people who are ill-informed and ignorant to the truth.

If you don't need to read the article, then your mind isn't really all that open anyway, but at least it tells us up front that you have no time to investigate before you speak.

Chicago is a beautiful city and it is safe as any other place inhabited by almost 3 million people. There are good places and bad, good people and bad, and no common thread between any of them. you are as likely to have trouble here as any other major city.

If you're afraid to come here, then that's your prerogative and you should stay where you feel that you're safe, but don't spread a bunch of gossip and scary stories unless it's your own personal experience. It's just bad taste, and it's shows how ignorant you are about the city.

BTW - Rosemont isn't even near the city, it would cost you $50 to take a taxi from there to downtown. The hotel is across the street, and the security at the show is top-notch, as it should be with millions of $$$ in gold and silver on site. The Chicago ANA is one of the safest sites I can think of and by no means should anyone let the ill-informed crap being spewed in this thread deter them from coming and enjoying a beautiful city and a great show.

Ardatirion and mill rat41 like this.
  12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Whoa, there. Number one- I stood up for your city by saying it is a great city to visit. Number two- I actually did read the article before posting and the article only affirmed what I said as can be seen when the author states, "Many of the shootings are gang-related, police say." Number three- it is nothing short of indisputable that most of these shootings happen in the 'bad' areas such as the "South Side" and that it is best for tourists and visitors to stay clear of these areas of Chicago. If you don't want to acknowledge this information and realize that rzage and myself made great posts, well then that's your prerogative.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

All large cities have their dangerous neighborhoods. If it's politically incorrect to say so, then political correctness be damned. The intelligent person avoids war zones.

NOS and geekpryde like this.
  14. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I would like to see the city offer free target practice for gang bangers. If they get their accuracy up, there will be less innocent victims.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

It is not only disputable, but it's flat-out incorrect.

I don't care about political correctness, but I do know that people spreading scare stories that aren't based in fact is ignorant and dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mikenoodle

Make your jokes. It's really funny when innocent people die. You guys are laughing at people's expense, and needlessly frightening others with NO proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I understand and that is the point I was attempting to make, though I did not articulate it well. In fact, I am typing this from Schaumburg at the Central States show just a few miles away and do not feel threatened at all.

rzage likes this.
  18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

My point was not a joke. If these gang bangers were better shots, they would shoot other gangbangers instead of missing and hitting innocent bystanders. These fools hold their guns sideways and spray bullets all over the place.

NOS likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

And big surprise Illinois has the most restrictive and unconstitutional gun laws in the country and is the highest in gun violence if they allowed law abiding citizens to concealed carry the main ones that would have to worry about being shot are the criminals

20. rzage

I don't think there's a correlation that can be made in that respect and the gang against gang violence in Chicago . I believe in a persons right to bear arms , but in this case it's the straw purchases that let the felons get there arms .
    One other thing , Mike made a great point that the majority of the South side is safe with hard working law abiding citizens .

Draft saved Draft deleted