Lighting used in photographs and it's affect on internet purchases...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Carterofmars, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

I've read that different types of lighting can affect what grade a coin appears to have. I'm sure it could be used to affect eye appeal as well. That is not too cool for internet purchases...

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yuri

yuri Member

Not only that but with photoshop one can easily create impact and thus fool the purchaser into seeing depth which is not there.

Loved your film by the way.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

No matter what the method of image acquisition, the technology and the user have to interpret (edit) the raw data prior to sharing it on the net. There is no way around that fact. Regardless, if you have a return privilege (something I urge all folks to require on non-bullion purchases) then you should be fine.

geekpryde likes this.
  5. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Return Policy... good and important point.

For instance. This is a completed action on Heritage but looking at the reverse I think I'm seeing WIZ marks? Anyone agree?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...&lotNo=11841

http://coins.ha.com/c/lot-image.zx?...&id=10987310

6. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

what is the best way one can take photos of coins so as to not misrepresent them?

7. Tom B

Buy the proper equipment, take many thousands of shots and work like heck to make the images accurate.

geekpryde likes this.
  8. Tom B

No. Those are not from the coin being manipulated. The Maine commem is well known for its extensive die polishing and the reverse is especially remarkable for the amount and severity of the die polish. This is what they look like.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  9. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Wow- If offered unslabbed, I would pass that up thinking it was previously cleaned. Really important to research these very carefully.

10. Tom B

That would be the wise decision and is also something I urge folks to do. That is, I tell folks not to buy ahead of their knowledge base.

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Actually, with a decent camera, a copy stand and multiple types of light you can experiment with photos until you get shots that are the most representative of the coin in question. For example, when I shoot a slab I actually use a sheet of wax or parchment paper to diffuse the flash on my camera to reduce glare, while increasing lighting and the images are close to what the coins look like. For coins outside of the slab I use florescent axial lighting for toned coins and diffused axial lighting with incandescent bulbs for white coins. Backgrounds can also change the way a coin appears, silver looks best on black, gold can go on black or white, red copper can be on a multitude of colors but red seems to be the best and brown copper actually really pops on pink card stock.

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Eye appeal sells coins. I've bought coins that were sold with very sub-par pics, photographed and edited them as well as I could without misrepresenting them, and turned a profit on every one. Good packaging is a critical part of good business.

bqcoins likes this.
  13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

+1

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes it is. Unfortunately not everyone looks at it the same way you say you do.

It is extremely common for just about everybody to take pictures of coins that show the coin in its best possible light. In other words, very flattering pictures. But not necessarily entirely accurate pictures.

But you also have to understand what that means. While a given picture may be indeed accurate, that does not mean that the coin really looks that way. It is often true that the coin will only look that way when viewed from the same angle as the picture, and with the light, and same type of lighting, at the same angle as used to take that picture. In other words, if you look at the coin under a different kind of light and from a different angle, you may swear it is an entirely different coin.

Now is it unethical or underhanded to do your best to show pictures that flatter the coins ? Of course not, it's only natural to do that. Have done it many times myself and so has just about everybody else that ever too a coin pic. And that is true if you are just trying to share the coin with others or when trying to sell the coin.

But when looking at coin pictures it requires a certain knowledge, a skill, as Tom mentioned, in interpreting that picture. And that is a skill that not too many have. And to have a highly developed level of that skill is even less common.

It all comes down to one thing when you are buying coins. There are sight seen coins and sight unseen coins. And every time you buy a coin based on a picture, you buy that coin sight unseen. And buying coins sight unseen is a very risky business !

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've become better at sizing up pics since I've taken my own for the purposes of selling. A few of my buyers commented that a coin I sold them did not look like the pictures, so I learned to take shots in a few different conditions, roomlight, sunlight, etc.

I also got a complaint that a coin was too small! - which can happen with ancients. Not many people realize just how small a 10mm coin is. So I took shots of the coin in my hand, in full sunlight, and on a copy stand, with diffuse incandescent lighting. That seemed to eliminate any confusion as to the size and visual appeal of the pieces.

16. yuri

yuri Member

Buy yourself an SLR with macro facility and photograph the coin in natural light. I'm no coin collector, but I do have a degree in photography.

Draft saved Draft deleted