Let's make use of the suckers!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

This is nothing new to me - plenty of scammers out there and at least it was admitted up front. Next thing you know you will complain about losing auctions on ebay and start selling there. Just let me know when you start selling on ebay so I can ignore the auctions. Another reason people should avoid ebay - you never know who might be selling on the other end. This is why you stick with trusted dealers and the better auction sites.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sully

Sully New Member

So how do you know if your genius plan will get one of those "suckers" or just some new collector off the street? Let me guess, you'll say it's not your problem becuase they shuld have educated themselves first, right?

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Mark, In fairness, there are some very good dealers on eBay too. Your point about knowing the seller you're dealing with rings very true however....Mike

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Hopefully when you are an adult (I really don't care what your chronological age is at this point. Probably not the 19 years old you indicated at one time) you may actually grow up and realize that rationalization is not the answer to life giving you some disappointments.

6. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Right.

To another poster...you shouldn't have to have thousands of dollars to "play by their rules".

Likewise. I tried "playing by their rules". I took almost 800 dollars in cash and got nowhere. I thought maybe if I ran the bid on every coin for a few auctions..they would cut the crap and give me a break. All this did was turn me into "one of them".

To the other poster. There is nothing they saw in the coins. They had no numismatic value. They were worn to nothing peace dollars and franklin halves.

I try to collect as much as I can but these guys make it tough. Maybe it's not as bad in your area..but if you came here I can bet you a steak dinner you would be saying the same things as me.

Although it's a free country...and yes you can take as many coins as you want...I do not consider this fair...and it reminds me of people that would take an entire box of items that say "free, take ONE".

Greed has been ruining this nation. I'm not gonna go "off road" but just look at the price of gas and then tell me greed does not exist.

All I ask for is to be able to buy a few coins, and buy a few to collect. I do not want it all. There WILL always be more. This is just common stuff we are talking about...not rare coins or errors. This is stuff you see every week.

There are collectors...and then there are hoarders. I have many friends that collect coins.

To me a collector is someone who adds a few things to his collection at a suitable pace over the course of his or her lifetime. A hoarder is someone who just buys it all...spare no expense....and stuffs it into a box never to see the light of day.

7. Detecto92

Yes. It does not take but $15 and a few minutes to crack open a red book and get a somewhat general idea of the value of the coin. If you do not take the time to educate yourself and just rush into things..then it's ignorance on your part. Not mine.

Let's say you have a car for sale. You doubled the price. If someone pays you double..then it's their stupidity for not taking 30 seconds to look up the price of it on KBB.com.

You can price things as high as you want. Your not conning anyone...your proving to yourself that people are lazy and don't want to take a minute to look up the price of something. As PT Barnum once said "there is a sucker born every minute".

8. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

While some of these people may deserve it you have no idea if the coins you put up will be bought by someone who is just trying to get into the hobby and is believing your pricing as honest.....i was burned for a few fifty dollar morgans when i first started collecting coins and yes, shame on me for not knowing what I was buying but if you think that you are not doing anything wrong by what you do you are wrong my friend....just my opinion

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I never knew that if you have nothing nice to say don't say it washed away :(

10. Sorry, it's an open forum for all of the world wide web to read. They can make comments as they wish as long as it is inside the rules of this forum.

11. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I know i know :eek:

12. Detecto92

I don't really think my price is dishonest....like I said I can set my price as high as I want. The prices in guides are just suggestions...they are not set in stone.

Not really any such thing as "honest pricing". I don't think the prices of many things are "honest". Take jewelers for example...who often markup things 300-400 percent (think I'm lying? just look it up on Google).

If you are getting into the hobby then take the time to educate yourself.

13. You should take your own advice.

14. Detecto92

I try to. I get burned a lot...but it's a result of my own ignorance...and yes I'm brave enough to admit that.

15. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

You seem to act like the others are doing something unethical. It's an auction, and sometimes people get into bidding wars and don't want to back down out of pride, stupidity or both. But you coming on a public forum and fully admitting, if not bragging how you prepared your coins so they bring more money then they are worth is a lot worse then a bunch of people overbidding on the coins you wanted but didn't get. And you can sit there with a straight face and claim the other people bidding are doing something wrong? You really think you're going to teach them some kind of lesson and at every future auction coins won't be overpaid for? C'mon, grow up a little bit and put your energy into something useful.

16. Detecto92

Well...then what can I do?

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Excuse me for a moment while I ream into you:

If you join what can be an expensive hobby then yes, you may have to have lots of bucks to play by "their rules", and that is neither unfair or opportunistic for the people who have been 'around the block' a number of times in this hobby. Either find a way to get the bucks you need to get where you want, or lower your sights to something that is within reason for the bucks you have. I am no big player on this or other fronts that can cost people lots of money, but I enjoy what I can afford and I am striving to put together a good collection of really nice coins based on what I can afford. In fact, the best that I can afford without adversely impacting my life in other regards. So I don't go around blowing money I can ill afford on coins, and I take enjoyment in searching coin rolls, even though it's not the most lucrative thing I can do. I actually make more money per hour in my regular job right now than I ever will be hoping to make by finding coins in rolls or change. I use some of that to buy some coins, but most of it actually goes to the regular things in life, like bills, food, housing, gas, etc. I also am involved in a sport (dog shows) where a number of people spend 100 to 200 thousand a year or MORE fronting one or more show dogs in the hopes of winning. Do I envy them? Yes. Do I wish I had their funds? Yes. Do I ever want to screw someone over that is a newbie in that field, just to feel superior? NO! That, in essence, is what you are saying you are doing, and you are rationalizing what you want us to accept as your choices. Well, the heck I say! You are more the fool for doing this, than for taking your lessons by foolishly bidding people up just because you don't like the fact that they have resources you don't. If you lose money that way, then I say you deserve what comes to you from it, which is money lost.

As far as you saying there was nothing of value in those coins. Who ARE you to tell others what they find valuable, and to insinuate that YOU of all people are the most able to judge what value a particular coin has or doesn't, numismatically? I say you don't, and you already can know why, based on my responses to some of your other threads here. You are all over the place on coins, and you still want to base costs of coins on the Red Book, for you know who's sake! When the heck are you going to grow up?

And who cares who makes it tough. I am in a tough situation with professional handlers winning with their dogs who are either about equal to my dog, or whose dog actually has more faults than mine, and they win because of politics. That and they've had 30 or more years in the business than me with my breed, and the judges reward them as handlers. It's a (word sounding similar to beach), but I don't go around stomping my feet and making grievances or trying to play in an unfair way. It is what it is, and it is rare that the newcomer with the dogs gets very far. In a different respect, I have actually gained personally by this, in that I am learning sportsmanship. That, I say, should be something you should strive for. Your lack of sportsmanship in this game of collecting coins is appalling.

It is a free country, and you should be glad you have it. And I have seen and put out boxes of Free Items, (especially at Halloween) where I have also put out a sign saying to take only three or less. Why? Because, even though I put out plenty for what I expected for trick-or-treaters, there's a chance that more will come and I would like all who come to get the candy. Not just the first one or two. Secondly, it promotes the idea that it isn't just a free-for-all, but to be considerate for others. At garage sales, boxes of free items are put out with the signs, so that people who come out for the entire duration have an opportunity to get something "free", and any leftovers are donated to Goodwill or some place. It's just plain considerate to want to give as many people the same opportunity, instead of just letting it go to the first person. And yes, sometimes people are greedy and take more than I think they should. Get over it. Quit trying to emulate the inconsiderate people in the world. It doesn't become you anymore than it becomes me or anyone else here.

And greed has not been ruining this country. This country existed and had greed all around for decades and centuries before we existed. It will exist after you and I are gone. Greed is a human condition for people who are selfish. And it exists in all nationalities and countries in this world. It has not ruined this country, because if it had, then you better not worry about coins, you better just stock up for the apocalypse, because, honey, the US will never get over this recession for all the greed that has gone on here. Old coins should be the very least of your worries.

And as to your definition of what constitutes a hoarder of coins, vs that of a "collector", you again are not one to judge. You said "To me a collector is someone who adds a few things to his collection at a suitable pace over the course of his or her lifetime. A hoarder is someone who just buys it all...spare no expense....and stuffs it into a box never to see the light of day." Who the heck are you to judge what a amount and pace someone else should take with the hobby they choose, under the circumstances they can afford. Some people do spare no expense, and if they have the means, then by all means, let them. It's their choice in a FREE country. They are allowed to do what they want with their coins, and it has no effect on anyone else unless and until they are put up for sale again. They can buy all they want and counterstamp 'Scrouge McDuck' on each and every one if they want. That actually is no business of yours or mine...

Stop being an unsatisfied lout and self-entitled (bad word, self-edited.... let's just say "person") and get a better mind-set, because the one you present here most of the time is just plain stinky.

Note: quick addendum. Added in post #53 to clarify something I said here.

18. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

19. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

[​IMG]

20. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

To add to my statement I thought the OP was going to coin auctions where everyone was educated about what they were buying and were just don't showing proper etiquette.

I would kinda expect this at an estate auction as their should only be about 3 or 4 collectors in group and I assume they would come to buy the coins.

21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Same OP of the other thread.

@Detecto

I am according to you one of them greedy horders. As when I went to the last 3 estate sales I took everything home with me ;o). Did I make some mad? Oh well. Do I care? NO. Maybe they are just being frugal and cheap. Picked up a folder of Merc dimes missing the 16d $20. Yes the 21 and 21d were there. Picked up a 36s GWQ vf30 $15.

Maybe you are not looking hard enough or not smart enough to know what your bidding on? Remember that your the one that thinks nobody can tell if you run coins through a rock tumbler!!! Not counting the untold number of other shall we say asinine statements you've made. But now you consider yourself a dealer, just because you consigned some coins to an auction. LMAO. My advice to you Go collect Beanie babies

Draft saved Draft deleted