Large Cent Giveaway to a YN or Financially Strapped Collector

Discussion in 'Contests' started by WingedLiberty, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I want it because I DONT CARE WHAT PCGS HAS TO SAY ABOUT THE COLOR! I am starting to realize everything is personal opinion and i don care if someone at pcgs doesnt like how it got its color, I think it would make an incredible spot in my collection. Im 28 years old and a barber. Im not rich and any contest i see i will take a shot at it so i can look at some new things i may not have the money to purchase. I got into collecting because a few coins were left to me by my grandfather. Some i know now have been cleaned or brushed but they mean more to me than any ms70++** coin because they were from a loved one, and PCGS cannot put a price tag on that. Sorry i get a little emotional when i get thinking about some aspects of tpg's. I think it serves a purpose but honestly who has the say in telling someone their coin is lower level its individual opinion that drives people toward a certain coin more that generic terms like au58 or ms60

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

thanks for a cool contest too i am gonna do my part i think we all should do one if we can spare even a small piece of our collection either of to a new collector or someone who wants more but doesnt have the means to buy. It is an expensive hobby i think its great people do contests like these its a good thing because no one ever asks for money just a little time to write a response

4. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

Hi there Mizozuman2! Nice to meet all of the people on this forum. Very respectful and educational!

5. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

well, being disrespectful doesn't get you far in life. :)
    and as for the educational part... i'm still learning, and will be for a long long... we'll just say a good while! :)

Mizozuman2

6. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Yeah, this forum is the best source of inteligence for coins. World or US, And they are very nice, unless your grammar ain't that goodly!;)
    Some of the people can be Grammar_Nazis____The_Motivator_by_ZlayaHozyayka.jpg

7. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

I'll remember to use my proper grammmer, but eye cant promise spelling. LOL:D

8. BigBM

BigBM New Member

I started collecting when I found a wheat cent in my change, started buying rolls of pennies and searching through them to find the wheaties. I met Cazkaboom 5 months ago when I expressed an interest in some of his coins and one in specific: A 1837 large cent. I just couldn't believe the US made cents that big. So I asked him about it and he said he got it for dirt cheap. I asked hem if he was selling it, and he said I can have it if I am really interested in expanding my collection. With a friend who knows a lot about coins, he told me that the coins are absolutely great for learning about history. I don't have much, just a mercury dime, a 1837 large cent, Jefferson Nickels in a whitman folder, about 80 wheat pennies, and the drummer boy quarters.

I like collecting because I can learn a lot of history from them and they are all pieces of art.

I want this penny because it is a really nice looking piece and I would like to add it to my tiny collection.

9. BigBM

BigBM New Member

Haha Kinda like Miss Herman! Good one!

10. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

*can't <--- Don't forget the use of apostrohphes, JRM! ;) I joined the fleet of grammar Nazis many moons ago.

-Brian

11. Cazkaboom

That's the point of his post. To get them fueled up!

12. mizozuman2

i dun no wat you be takin abut cazkaboom? plese elabrate 4 me, tanks! :devil:

13. Cazkaboom

Win yer engrish is as goodly as meyen, u wil no.

14. mizozuman2

i be vry flunt wit mah engrish, tank yu vry mutch! :)

15. mizozuman2

me zach and caz are tied... i'm nervous now!!!!!!

16. For my entire childhood, I've always been very close with my grandfather. I didn't always get to see him very often though, but when I did, it was a big deal. Times were tough for him, but he kept whatever he could in his collection. From a young age, he got me into coin collecting. I collected the statehood quarters and mostly world coins that I would come across. A few years ago, I was "bitten" by the bug, and became a hardcore coin collector. I'm 17 now, but still a novice collector when compared to many here on the site. My grandfather inspired me to get into coin collecting, and taught me everything I know/ We've been able to greatly bond over it over the years.

17. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Well I am a senior and I have collected coins since I started working in 1955.

In 1974 I had my house broke into and ransanked. It sacared me so bad that I sold what was left of my first coin collection at a great loss. ( I still dream about those old coins I wish I still had ). The money I got was $ 800 which I put in a zippered bible. My daughter took it to church one day and left the bible there. I can only hope a family in need found the money.

I began collecting again in 2001 as a senior retirement hobby and much to my wife of 56 years dismay, I am now a fanatical collector of all U.S. & Foreign coins.

I am especially interested in old U.S. type coins and the large cent offered is a beauty. One that I would enjoy for my limited years to view in my current collection.

18. bartsimpson

bartsimpson New Member

I am a brand new to collecting. My dad told me to get a hobby and gave me a 1943 silver penny. I liked that there was a penny actually made of SILVER! I decided to look into the history, and realized it was steel. But it is a very unique design because of the metal content. I got into collecting Lincoln cents and found a 1936 in my change the other day. I loved it. Now I want to expand farther than my barber dime and wheat pennies. I would like to get this coin because I am a total noob coin collector and would love that to be stashed away in my collection and hopefully given to my kids or grandkids.

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

wow i am amazed you are parting with the coin

and honestly i am amazed i cant think of anything that will help me win it.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not an entrant, but reading these stories brings back such memories. I am 66 and don't remember a time when I was not collecting coins. It has been sporadic, and I collect bits and pieces, but I consider myself a coinhollic. My mom was a teacher and teachers had to take turns to stay late to watch the kids until the last school bus had left. On those days we would eat supper in a restaurant in my home town of 2000 people. I would immediately go back to the coin register, open it and skim through to my heart's content. Since this was in the early and mid 1950's, there were plenty of mercury dimes, buffalo nickles, standing lib quarters and walker halves. I remember when I thought my heart was going to stop when I pulled out a 1916 Merc and saw a letter on the back......yep, an S. My collection was stolen by a "friend" and I never got any of it back and he essentially got off. Took me a few years to get back in the groove, but I have an eclectic collection I like now.

21. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Mojavedave, are you from the Mojave desert?? My entire family is from the Lancaster/Rosemond area.

Draft saved Draft deleted