Just a Question for you guys

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey Guys,
    Hope you had a nice easter (sorry im late). I was just spending some time reading up on coins and looking at my collection. I have 1 1929 and 2 1929 D quarters. So the 1929 has a mintage of 12mil. and the 1929 D has a mintage of 1.3mil. So why are the priced really close to eachother?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. austyn

austyn Member

ummmmm........ idk:happy:

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I really don't know much about quarters, but maybe because they are still pretty widely available in most grades. Keep in mind that there are 2 main factors that drive the prices of coins...supply and demand. Perhaps it is in part because the SLQs may not be as widely collected as other denominations, or the fact that despite their low mintages, they were struck recently enough to be more frequently available to collectors in most grades.

austyn, coingeek12 and green18 like this.
  5. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

take the 1950-d nickel for example. 2.1 million minted, yet only worth 15-30 dollars in UNC condition. Why? because everyone saved them. it might be the same with your quarter. if not, i will have to go with frisco, S&D.

austyn likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably because there aren't that many collectors of SLQ and even with a 1.3 M mintage there are enough 1929 D's to satisfy demand. And if there are enough 29-D's there are definitely enough 1929's. So both of these are just treated as common dates and bring just the base level values. Now if you could somehow double or triple the number of people collecting SLQ, then you might find the value of the 29-D rising.

Collect89 likes this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Jason (aka ace71499),

Now that I am at home I have consulted my library. BTW, I went looking for your thread & had trouble finding it tonight. It might have helped if you put "question about 1929-D quarter" in the thread title.:happy:

J. H. Cline has written several books on standing liberty quarters. This is written about the 1929-D:

The 1929-D is certainly an underrated coin. The Guidebook prices this coin about 25% above common date, but according to the "price and quality chart" in this book, you can see Liberty Quarters of this date are very scarce. This date could be compared closely to the 1928-D.........

It has a price rank of 17 and a quantity rank of only 5. Cline estimates the quantity of full heads to be below 2%. Cline breaks down the 1928-D grades as follows:

G 20%
    VG 15%
    F 15%
    VF 15%
    XF 15%
    AU 10%
    BU 5%
    GEM 5%

Note that the 1929 (Philadelphia coin) has a price rank of 37 and a quantity rank of 31. The 1929 is listed as having 20% with full heads. Obviously, the 1929-D is a much tougher coin compared to the 1929 Philadelphia coin.

I hope this information is helpful.

coingeek12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted