Is there a way to look up a PCGS certification number for a specific coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Apr 17, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hello everyone,

I am trying to solve a little personal mystery surrounding a coin that I should own, but don't due to at least one sketchy person. Confirming some earlier suspicions I had, I have discovered that images of this coin is now currently being used on the PCGS website, and I know the year, variety, and grade of the coin. I'd like to know if there is a way to look up the PCGS certification #.
    Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Seems like only the cert # can be used for the lookup. But do tell the backstory, seems like it could be interesting :D

4. stldanceartist

5. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but do you have the PCGS cert image? If so, the cert number's in the image url. And if you have the image but it's not the official cert image, you might be able to do a reverse lookup.

6. stldanceartist

Volante - your solution was exactly right - by downloading the image, the URL had the cert # hidden inside it.

7. stldanceartist

I'd sure love to share the story with you all right now, but learning the PCGS cert number has led to some wonderful information regarding this issue...and I don't think it is prudent at this time to share it. Very sorry...but thanks for your help.

8. stldanceartist

FWIW, if one of our members is Dale Moore of Dale's Coins & Jewelry in FL, and he reads this post, he should contact me. I will be contacting him today.

EDITED to say that I am in no way insinuating that Mr. Moore is at any fault, nor am I insinuating that he is the sketchy person mentioned in my first post. Just wanted to be clear about that so no one takes my comment improperly.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It sure sounds like he's the person you're talking about . Especially with that disclaimer .

10. stldanceartist

Then I will explicitly state that he is not the sketchy person.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Now that you have the certification number of the coin in questions, this URL lets you look up PCGS Certification number of individual coins:

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

When you have it resolved, whether to your liking or not, I'd sure like to hear the story. It can save me and others the same headaches you are experiencing right now.

13. stldanceartist

Thanks krispy. It's been one of my bookmarks to use when trying to pick varieties on eBay from poorly lit pictures (although it's rarely helped.)

jpcienkus, I totally understand, and I promise everyone I will say what I can and what I've experienced in order to help everyone here avoid the same trouble. I have the story written down already...just have to wait for the right time to share.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've got a quick question regarding cert. #'s. I've got a Texas Commem in an old green holder that, when I plug in the numbers, doesn't show up. I've never worried about it to much because the dealer I bought it from has an impeccable reputation. Just wondering..........

15. krispy

krispy krispy

Send an email to PCGS about it. Could just be a database issue due to an old cert and perhaps if it's still listed in the dealers inventory in their own PCGS account, its causing it not to appear when searched. I think your best recourse is a direct inquiry, maybe an image of the label sent along with your message would help the TPG know you've got it.

16. green18

Thanks Chris. I'll try that.

17. stldanceartist

Sometimes they have database updates and the cert verification doesn't work for a few days. I had that issue come up with an ATB 5 oz that I sold on eBay. Customer emailed me saying it wasn't showing up on NGC's cert verification...which I thought was odd since I submitted the coin and had seen it verify on that site once I knew the grades/numbers. Called NGC and they had already fixed the issue.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Ken, there is some information about updating inventories on the Registry rules page. You may have a look there and might use that email address to contact PCGS about your problem. I assume you have had this coin for some time already so it should be something they can look into without much delay.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

From time-to-time, though pretty rare, there are PCGS database errors that exclude coins. However, PCGS is generally quite willing to correct the database to include these coins. Cert numbers beginning in 50 had an issue around a decade ago and if this coin has a cert number that begins with 50 then they might be aware of the problem already.

20. green18

It does Tom.

21. green18

Yeah Chris. I bought in 2010 at the Boston ANA. Thanks for the suggestion.

Draft saved Draft deleted