Ike Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zako, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Lately at a local pawn shop where I live at I've notice the Ike dollars are starting to go up in price and i'm collecting them but I don't want to over pay and the price went from about 1.25 per coin to 3.50 per coin and I wanna know if 3.50 is a fair price or if he's over charging ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

over charging for run of the mill Ikes...

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I get them at the bank for face value. They call me when they get them. I have even gotten circulated proofs.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I would only pay face value for circulated Ikes.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Plus, after someone takes a bunch of Ikes off their hands, the tellers break out the karaoke machine, sing, clap, and tap dance. Every teller I know HATES dollar coins. Same for Canadian money.

7. furryfrog02

Yup. I took 27 Ikes off a teller a few weeks ago and she said it made her day. She had them in her tray for a couple weeks before I came along.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They think you are doing them a favour, and I just let them think that.

9. furryfrog02

Agreed. She was also glad to get rid of the $160 worth of halves she had in the back. I was happy to pull 22oz of silver out of it :)

Tater likes this.
  10. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Wow that's funny but where I live at in Ohio I rarely get Ike Dollars in circulation same with most banks. Usually I go to the local flea market and I buy them at face value or a little less from people trying to get rid of stuff.

11. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

You are buying dollar coins for less than a dollar? Why wouldn't they just buy something with them rather that take a loss to sell to you?

12. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you why but then again some of the people there are really don't know what they're doing.

13. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Buy them if you can... the seller has no clue.

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

In the early 1960s, our Bank of America would only exchange $10 or $20 worth of silver dollars for face value in paper currency. Above $20 and the silver dollars were discounted because the bulky silver dollars were obviously a burden to the bank.

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It depends upon the coins.

Run of the mill IKEs? Definite over charging.
    40% Silver IKE's? Buy as many as you can!

As a side note, never, ever, ever, use a pawn shop for coin valuation.
    I visited a coin shop in Austin Texas last year that had 90% and 40% Kennedy half's up for sale. He was asking 2x to 3x silver melt value for these coins and simply would not budge on the price. My guess is that they were purchased (or pawned) when silver was close to $40 an ounce.

16. 19Lyds

I think the reason for this is that most of their coin contractors, which take the coins from them for return to the Federal Reserve, have minimums on the amounts they'll accept. With Eisenhower Dollars, it's probably 1,000 coins.
    If the bank does not have the requisite 1,000 coin minimum, then the coins stay in the vault waiting on the next inventory.

17. 19Lyds

Really? 22 "ounces" or 22 coins?

Regardless, silver at face coin value is always a treat!

18. furryfrog02

22 ounces. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted