If you dare, post a coin you paid WAY too much for, and are unlikely to ever recoup your money on…

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 29, 2024.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This is my single most expensive coin. I simply had to have it, had to fight very hard for it at auction, and grossly overpaid for it.

Now I’m likely “buried in it” for life, and my heirs may never recoup my full investment in it. But oh well. I get to enjoy owning it.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten”, um… right? ;)

NGC priceguide lists it for $2,250 in VF20.

This is a VF30, but I’m in it for $3,867.50. :nailbiting:

(I note that it leaps to $4,550 in XF40, though, so…?)

Sometimes I question my own sanity (that’s a TON of money on my salary). But then I admire the coin and shrug.

IMG_8190.png IMG_8188.jpeg IMG_8189.jpeg

ddddd, Dimedude2, Chris B and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

You might remember I thought I "Stole" the puppy for only 300...
    But I got Cleaned on that deal :D
    (sorry crappy pics to lazy to take new ones)
    4882594_Full_Obv.jpg 4882594_Full_Rev.jpg

4. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Well, yes to all that, but this is a stunningly attractive coin that transcends the wear and the grade. I mean, sometimes “grading” just seems an irrelevant layer stuck on top of the reality of the coin. We talk so much about grades that sometimes you just need to look at the coin and put all else aside.

Dimedude2, okbustchaser, Neal and 8 others like this.
  5. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

see i use common sense which seems to be lacking in many when buying coins i don't spend thousands of dollars for a coin to feed a ego not my style
    i don't need the limelight unlike many people, if i want to show off i will but in a way that doesn't make me look like a total fool with more cash then brains

sorry to disappoint kids

6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I don't have a coin that I as you put Grossly overpaid for.
    The last lot of vintage silver I made an error in total ounces (off by 6 ounces) 23oz instead of 17oz and because I agreed to the sellers counter offer, I honored my mathematical error... ended up paying 25% more than what I felt the lot was worth.
    Silver has gone up 5% but as I was already paying strong for the lot I'll need $75+oz to recoup spent money .
    The real kicker is 3 ounces are duplicates and I paid the per ounce price for those as well.

7. lordmarcovan

Who said spending thousands of dollars on a coin necessarily has anything to do with ego?

Maybe it does, sometimes, for some folks. But there’s a lot more to the equation than that.

PS- most folks who have some ego-driven agenda wouldn’t confess they overpaid for a coin.

Maxfli, Eduard, LakeEffect and 7 others like this.
  8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

You would have “grossly overpaid” for that coin at that price if it was average or below average for the grade. However, the “circ cam” look of yours is truly unique, and there are a lot of higher grade pieces with less eye appeal than that one has. I remember your posting it before because it’s hard to forget.

Jeffjay, -jeffB, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

i've said my opinion like it or not and i'll end it on that

10. lordmarcovan

Thanks. That is certainly what made it a must-have for me.

masterswimmer and KSorbo like this.
  11. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

LordM, you never know what someone might be willing to pay for a piece like yours! If it were mine, I’d just enjoy looking at it and keep telling myself how lucky I am to own it! They tell me life is good! The hard part is realizing it is.

12. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I guess it's low on the overpaid scale, but I paid $152.19 plus shipping for a Trajan as with a lovely aqua patina. Without the aqua patina, I wouldn't have cared about the piece.

A good aqua patina is one of the scarcest patinas, though.

Trajan (98-117) - AE Dupondius - 28mm. 12.58g RIC 428 Abundantia nice aqua patina Savoca.jpg
    Trajan, 98-117. Dupondius (Bronze, 28 mm 12,58 g), Rome, 101-102. Obv. IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM P M Radiate head of Trajan to right, with slight drapery on left shoulder. Rev. TR POT COS IIII P P / S C Abundantia seated left on chair formed of two cornucopiae, holding scepter in her right hand. RIC 428. BMC 749. Cohen 639

The 1799 dollar is pretty handsome. That's about 2,870 more than I've ever spent on a single coin, though.:wideyed: My Johannes tremissis was $975, in 1999 dollars.

13. lordmarcovan

Ooh, I’d like to see that. Johannes is one emperor I’ve never had, and his gold must be a joy to behold. His bronzes are so tiny and crude, they look like mouse droppings to me.

14. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Most everyone on this forum is familiar with the coins I collect.
    Coins with dates, actual dates prior to 1501 A.D. Outside of
    Bob Levinson, I've never met another collector. There are the folks
    who collect one for each year. I have for some dates 7 different
    coins. Others might collect by region, but a date is not that important.
    If it has one, great. If not that's OK too. Pride of ownership means
    a lot to me. For over half of my collection I over paid. Getting
    my money back, not unless I'm very, very closely related to
    Methuselah. As I said pride of ownership.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Almost 20 years ago.
    I was doing a War Nickle set and needed this to complete.
    It was a 1945-P TDR MS64, I thought I still had an image but no luck.

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well.... I don't even have it yet. I been pining for this dime for six years and struck a deal just this week. I'll never recoup what I paid but that's my wife and kids problem anyways.
    10.jpg

17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I probably spent way too much on this IHC for my registry set but I'm getting old, senile, and it's my money.
    1900ihcms66+RDo.jpg

18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I don't care how much Wampum any of the members that posted their supposed non-recoverable purchase price piece was.

Based on the images, all are ahead of their time as an excellent addition to their personal collection. The "Market" for such pieces is not what you may think.

I particularly note the 1799, the 1878 and the 1900. Those pieces are not even close to the "Oh well..wadryagonnado" lament.

I will assume the 3rd. side on those pieces are fine, and accordingly, my question is what the heck is wrong with you, thinking you are buried??

If it is about the money spent, those pieces will return, with a happy face, the expenditure, in multiples, even adjusting for inflation.

If it is not about the money spent, but the choice to spend it on those pieces, relax Grasshoppers, you did well in your studies and can now shave your head and wear a neat colored Robe.

Savvy?

Truth in editing: changed "where" to "wear". I do that wherever I find it, no matter what I decide to wear while doing it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  19. charley

charley Well-Known Member

That opinion exceeds any level of failure of any useless curmudgeonly dumazz commentary I have ever made via any method of communication.

I did not think that was possible.

Congratulations!

Dan Galbato, Maxfli, ldhair and 4 others like this.
  20. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Holy bovine, Randy, that is a nice dime! I probably would have dropped a good shiny red cent on that one too!

21. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

That's a beautiful coin. Unfortunately, my 1799 has a huge counterstamp across the obverse killing its value.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted