I TOSSED OVER 1,000 COINS IN THE TRASH.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coins776, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coins776

coins776 no title

most states do require a licence for yard sales.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think once " Say something offhand silly/stupid/contentious for recognition" type of announcement threads became common on the board, many newer members have caught the plague. We as a board have encouraged this by answering such threads, often more than 1 time. As we know " Any publicity is better than no publicity". Don't answer threads just to continue them. If no one becomes irate or argues with the poster, they will fade away.

So someone throws coins away rather than disposing them in what we think is a better solution. Accept it and move on. True of False, it was obviously posted to draw responses and all have done what was expected.IMO.

Moderator Talk : I see little numismatic use for this thread and the next rule violation by any will draw points and closure.

4. coins776

coins776 no title

those coins would be a crummy gift.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

BTW does anyone check the trash can next to the coinstar or other bank's machines? I have found older Canadian coins like the Tombac nickels from 1942 lying right there on top of the trash.

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I call BULL feces

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on CT. That really says a lot!

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's called USPS Priority Flat Rate.

Chris

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, you could have advertised them on Craigs List as freebees and people would have been lining up to take them off your hands.

Throwing out money is a sin as far as I'm concerned. Not to get Biblical but look up the old testament reading regarding Talents. There's an old saying......'waste not, want not'. Throwing out coins is a total waste indeed. Both of my parents lived through the depression and if they could read this thread they'd be rolling about in there respective graves..........

10. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Again, don't feed the trolls.

Question to the mods: how many times can I post the above? Could I, for example, post this in reply to the same poster repeatedly?

No, if directed towards the same individual, it would be harassment

11. enochian

enochian silver eater

Should have at least giving them ti some one i dont care if its a ciin and someones plans on trashing them i would take them so rember that next time

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There are better ways to make a point, and there is no reason for such a young man to be speaking to adults (or anyone else for that matter) as you have in this thread.

Poster or posters? If the latter, you may be a busy man. ;)

non_cents likes this.
  13. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I think the OP is just posting this in order to get a rise out of us, just MHO.

That being said, if you are 100% serious, you could have at the minimum gotten face value back by taking them to a bank or coinstar, or if you felt like doing a good deed, finding the "best" pieces of the lot and sending them out to beginner collectors to get them started. A little generosity could make a young collector really happy, and there are quite a few young collectors on the forum that would appreciate even a worn IHC in their collection.

But, as previously mentioned, I fear that this is nothing more than a thread posted just for the sake of getting attention.

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Made me wonder if they could have been sold as scrap metal.

Again, people need to accept some form of criticism and not just attack others all day long. I see an awful lot of negative posts within this week and it's not a welcome sign. I trust the moderators judgement on this.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

What? . . . you couldn't conceive of donating them to the local Cub Scouts, to a coin club, to a needy old folks home or some other organization? How about putting them in a Salvation Army bucket at Christmastime? Why not carry some in your pockets, and add them to tips at restaurants?

Figuratively throwing money away is something we have probably all done . . . doing so literally . . . sorry, but you're the first I've heard of.

16. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Seriously its stupid ! Give it to a charity or something !

17. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Please stop talking to this guy... he has the thickest skull in the world

18. coinexist

coinexist Member

Worst case scenario coinstar for the cash on next trip to grocery store?

19. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

You go on a coin forum. You post how you just threw away a large number of coins, a number of them being over 100 years old.

I mean, I honestly can't think of much anyone could do that would be more of a trolling post.

And if he isn't trolling, then what motivation can there be for posting it? There literally can not be a good one.

RaceBannon and non_cents like this.
  20. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

If you guys think that's crazy, I have a confession to make. I just tossed over 2,000 coins in the trash and I burned a bunch of dollar bills too. I did this in front of the Home for Young Numismatists. I didn't feel like walking the extra 50 feet to donate them even though it would have brought much joy to them.

And I did it just for fun and to show the other guy how it's really done. Believe me, I have plenty of space. I could have stored those coins forever.

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok, now it seems out of hand, nothing of numismatic knowledge contained, so I will close it. I do not believe it myself, and such posts, true or not, reflect poor judgment on the part of the members of a designated forum.

Rassi, jon12, BRandM and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.