I HATE bid snipping.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 16, 2012.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well I guess if you can't handle it then you better stay off ebay or grow a thicker skin! I snipe left and right and if you choose a coin I want then you better look out. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I always thought it would be fun to see the auction time extended by 10 or 15 seconds, if a bid was made with less than 5 seconds to go. The sellers (and eBay) would make more money that way. It would encourage bidding wars and put snipping software out of business. Just imagine the high prices some compulsive bidders would pay for the average coin! :>)

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

This has been explained to you many times, but I will reiterate for you.

A buyer sees a coin they want on eBay. They decide what the max amount they are willing to pay for that coin. They enter that as their maximum bid. Any other buyer(s) interested in the same coin make their bids, and if their bids are lower than the buyer who maxed out their bid, the one who placed a max bid on the coin, will have their bid increased accordingly, automatically by the server.

Since you don't know what that max bid is, when you keep bidding and your bid is lower than the max bid made on the item, you will be outbid.

This can continue until the end of the auction, and thus will potentially snipe you out.

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

To ensure you avoid snipers, then make all your proxy bids $1,000. You'll win most of the auctions but then you'll pay through the nose because someone else may use $900 as their max. bid.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Nope. It was added.
    I think the term they used when they did it was "Proxy Bidding"?
    Their system bids for you in the required increments until it reaches your max bid.

It used to be that you put in a bid for X amount, and it applied that amount to the current bid.
    If you wanted to pay $5 for an item, you either had to raise the bid from 99c to $5 right then and there,
    or if you wanted to do it in increments, you put in a .50c bid to get to $1.49 and then waited to see if
    anyone one-upped you. There was no max bid, just the bid you put in at that moment.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Why, if a buyer cannot buy at their price, does the other person had to have overpaid? Of course few ever mention the type of coin when making this kind of statement. With something that can be had at any time on any given day, sure, but what about certain coins that appear at major auctions only a couple of times a year? Does this mean that someone willing to pay up has overpaid? How about quality? There are countless scenarios in which a higher price is justified. Just because a coin is worth more to someone else does not mean they overpaid.. its just as likely that everyone else underbid.

More people should do the same, but with a level of understanding that to some extent, ebay is a secondary market for auction house buys.

Well, aren't you special.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

You wee a scout and never caught a snipe? I was always an excellent snipe hunter. :) :) :)

For the OP--if you don't like being sniped, don't play the game. If you play it, don't complain--if you don't win, it means that someone reached deeper into his/her pocket than you did, that's all.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

My most recent win on ebay was when I bid a few days ahead of it ending, and I put the most I was comfortable spending for the coin. I knew there could be a chance I could lose it, but I really didn't want to pay higher. Nor did I want to get into a bidding war or perhaps decide at the last minute to override my thoughts as to what price I would pay, so I bid early and not at the last few minutes ( I could have chosen to get on line then and watch the auction or to use sniping services).

What happened is that there were 9 valid bids (actually 10, but that one was retracted - my guess is that it wasn't so much a "wrong amount entered" but the bidder found out it outed my high bid and the bidder didn't want to pay that much. He bid at 5 min prior, and retracted a minute later). I did win, and the valid bidder at the last minute did not bid high enough to win it. So I got the coin for a dollar more than that bidder put in --- and about 4 bucks less than the bid I placed. Perhaps that other bidder now thinks he/she should have bid a little higher, but that is what anyone who doesn't bid high enough to win can feel if they are not comfortable with the bid they place.

I don't care if the high bid is placed 6 days prior to the ending time or 1 second before. When the bidding ends, it doesn't matter when the bid was placed. The only effect it might have is to either disturb people who bid early and were willing to bid more (attributing the timing of the bid to some sort of "unfairness") but couldn't because of sniping, or to possibly cause someone to either believe they have to snipe to get a deal or to pay more because people do look at the history. I personally believe that if ebay went to an all sniping system (where all bids were never seen on the item until the end), some people would still be upset that they didn't get the deal they expected to.

unfairdog1.jpg

Try looking at life from the dog's point of view. You will never see things are unfair. They just exist.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm all for sniping. Either you will have to reevaluate your bids or start buying coins at Goodwill.

Chris

11. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I almost always snipe because it keeps me from getting to emotionally involved with winning and getting into a bidding war.
    I have one shot to make my best offer.
    If I win, I'm happy.
    If I lose, well there will always be another auction.
    Occasionally I have entered a bid far in advance of the closing and have won a few that way.
    Sometimes I forget to snipe bid and lose out too.

12. ska69

ska69 Member

Keep your eye out! I've been sniped a few times and the exact item was re-listed less than 24 hours later. Sometimes the winning bid doesn't get paid.

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I'd say that, more often than not, this represents a situation where the seller sniped their own item.

The Ebay auction style may not be perfect, but I prefer it to most live auctions. Especially when the auctioneer is like:

Betoda..Betadi..Botobi..Five..Five..Five..Five..Five..Now Ten..Ten..Ten..Ten..Ten..Betoda..Betadi..Botobi..Ten..Ten..Ten..Ten!

I don't know why people think that this auctioneer yodeling is a good idea, but I'm just sitting there thinking, "Man, Shut the @#&% Up!!!"

14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Just hope he dont get sniped on that one either

15. Sully

Sully New Member

I hate when people start a thread, get 4 pages of replies but dont come back and bother to post anything else.

16. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I hate when people start a thread and I have no interest in posting or know it will turn into a huge fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted