How does PCGS/NGC/ANACS label 1939 to 1945 German coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Atarian, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

See subject!

"Germany"?
    "Greater German Reich"?
    "Third Reich"?

Anyone have a certified coin of this era? I've seen "Weimar Republic" from PCGS. Is "Nazi" or "Third Reich" too non-PC for the later coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The name of that country (from 1871 until 1949) in German was "Deutsches Reich", except I don't know how to translate that. You could of course simply pick "Germany" ...

Christian

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Wouldn't that be 1933 to 1945?

PCGS and ANACS also just state "Germany", but I saw PCGS slabs saying "Germany, Third Reich" a couple of times.

6. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Hitler became chancellor April 30, 1933. Hindenburg died august 2nd of 34 and Hitler declared himself führer and gain full power aug 19, 1934.

7. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

It means Empire in English.

8. BUncirculated

Actually, it was 1947. Germany became part of the Prussian Empire in 1871 and the Empire was abolished in 1932, but officially abolished in 1947.

9. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

I meant TPG coin attribution years, not actual historic dates and events. Think this is also what OP meant. Although the aggression of Nazi Germany started with Poland in 1939, and there was the disestablishment of Prussia act in 1947, the years of Nazi regime are commonly accepted as 1933 to Germany capitulation in 1945.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That is what I thought too, until a while ago. Then some English language collectors told me that "Empire" is only used for the years when Germany was a monarchy (1871-1918) but not for the Weimar, Nazi and Allied Occupation years. Don't ask me. :)

Christian

11. Atarian

Looking at the few pictures in the set registries it appears that PCGS labels from 1935 to 1936 (with the "plain" eagle reverse) are labeled "Germany - Hindenburg" and with the new E/S reverse from 1936 to 1939 the label becomes just "Germany", although Hindenburg remains on the obverse. Interesting. You can't be too PC, it seems.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Here is the only slabbed Third Reich coin I own. It was slabbed by PCGS about a year ago.

[​IMG]

13. BUncirculated

Not entirely true, as Germany thought of itself as the Third Reich, or Third Empire during the time of Hitler.

The Weimar Republic was a name given by historians to the federal republic and parliamentary representative democracy established in Germany in 1919, to replace the imperial form of government. The name is that of the city, Weimar, where the constitutional assembly took place.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, I am somewhat familiar with the history of the country where I live. ;) My point was that Germany, between 1871 and 1949, had the name "Deutsches Reich", no matter what the unofficial name was. Then again, this does not have much to do with the OP's question anyway, hehe.

Christian

15. Atarian

Thanks for the picture. I guess I will e-mail them. Their inconsistency seems to be consistent, at least.

16. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

You are assuming that TPG's are consistant in their attributions.

I suggest:
    GERMANY, Kaisserreich. 1871-1918
    GERMANY, Weimarer Republik. 1918-1933.
    GERMANY, Drittes Reich. 1933-1945.

17. CamaroDMD

I think it all depends on when the coin was slabbed. I have noticed that as TPGs change their holders...they also sometimes change how they label the coins.

18. Atarian

That it seems is true. What a 'military issue' pfennig is, I do not know.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The coins (and notes) issued by the Reichskreditkassen were made for use in occupied territories. See this page http://www.numispedia.de/Reichskreditkassen (in German); the pieces were not used in Germany.

Christian

20. CamaroDMD

Yeah...and they are made from a very low quality zinc so they tend to be found quite corroded. When I found this example in such pristine condition...I had it slabbed. Even though it's a "common date" within the series, in this condition they are rare.

21. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

$T2eC16dHJIgFHRny-88HBSGTlsfs6!~~60_57.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted