HOF? Is 50,000 a low mintage?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Westtexasbound, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Is 50,000 low? Does a one day sellout play into it?

Trying to decide if I should part with mine for current eBay prices or hold it for a few years. The fact that the silver and gold have same design is a big factor.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

The question is, is it a low mintage for the demand? At the moment, it’s a low mintage for the available supply. It’s a high mintage compared to other recent gold $5 commems. The fact it sold out may indicate higher than usual demand or flippers bought a lot. I like to look at how many are listed on eBay, as an indicator of how many are being flipped. Who knows what the future will bring.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. IMO, if you want to profit, now is the time to sell before the supply on the market increases (US Mint actually ships the remainder out). Even though mintage is higher than other gold commemoratives, demand is much greater for these. I believe that prices will remain high just not as high as they are right now.

BadThad likes this.
  5. krispy

krispy krispy

I agree with what TC says.

And forget about the 50,000 number. It's a lot compared to other world mints new products that are equally fast at being snapped up upon release. It's not a lot compared to other collectibles from the US Mint, but it becomes apples/oranges trying to evaluate it that way.

It seems like you want to resell your HoF coin(s). So make your decision to sell now or your decision to be patient waiting, perhaps a few years, and hoping the POG and interest in this series keeps pace and retains a place in modern coin collectors hearts to pay more for these long after other waves of hyped new coins floods the market.

Also, one can never be sure this soon that a whole volley of sports themed curved (or curved and shaped, ala American football) coins are not going to follow as there are Hall of Fames of all manner of sports out there potentially eying these easily profited upon marketing gimmicks.

This year, the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy coins will be released and the HoF coins will take a big hit when those release as collectors funds will be flocking to the next big overrated hoo-ha.

IMO, if you are looking to resell your HoF coin(s), now is the time to work on it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    medoraman likes this.
  6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Sell now, prices are dropping fast and the mintage is high.

Don't trick yourself into thinking things are different this year, or they are different because the coin is curved, or thy are different because a lot of people like baseball. That's all huckster talk.

7. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I placed my order for the Hall of Fame coins at 2pm on opening day and I finally received word that my order is being shipped. Woot woot! Can't wait.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think you are right...the demand for these coins are going to be higher than with other gold commemorative coins. I think this is in part because of the unique design. That said, I think the key to this is in your first statement. We are still waiting for a bunch of these to get shipped out.

The whole supply has yet to be released. These prices are due to a very high demand for the coin and an availability of what...20,000 maybe? I think once the full mintage has been shipped out and the number for sale increases, we will see a massive price drop. I think they will always be worth a premium, but once all the shipments have been received and the market adjusts it will be much less.

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Sell while the excitement is high!

Draft saved Draft deleted