Hey friends, I'm back.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John Anthony, Aug 27, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I hope you’re all doing well! It’s been an eventful summer for us – my wife works days and I work nights, plus all four kids were home from school. So I had to prioritize my time and finances to favor the younglings – we had a great time with numerous road trips: hiking, camping, swimming, amusement parks, fairs, etc.

This hobby is so addictive that I knew if I even logged into CT, I’d end up ignoring everybody. But school started yesterday and I was ready to jump back into the saddle, so I picked up this attractive Fausta for my Constantine Family Tree.

[​IMG]

Cizicus mint, FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG, draped bust right hair waived, bun at back, wearing pearl necklace; reverse SPES REIPVBLICAE, Fausta standing facing, looking left, holding infants Constantine II and Constantius II, SMKB in ex; RIC 40. 3,82 gm., 18 mm.

I spent the morning looking at every Fausta I could find on the web, and this one was the most appealing in my price range. The surfaces are smooth, the legends readable, and there’s an abundance of clear detail, especially on her unique reverse design. The chin and eye are weak, but I don’t have the savvy to say whether that’s an issue of strike or wear. I decided I could live with that, considering the overall eye-appeal of the coin. The seller assures me the coin is much better in hand, but hey, which coin isn’t?

She fits nicely into the aesthetics of my Constantine Family Tree: VF, mostly problem-free coins. (This is just a working draft of the graphic presentation of this collection. Obviously some of the branches are missing, and I’m going to be taking new pics with new equipment.)

[​IMG]

RaceBannon, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Welcome back JA. Extremely nice Fausta, with a terrific reverse! Way to go for a comeback coin. :)

4. John Anthony

Thanks Chris! I hope you and your family are happy and healthy!

5. medoraman

I have to take Alexander for his one week checkup today. Yep, two sons now, Julian and Alexander, (gee I wonder how I came up with those names?)

John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  6. John Anthony

Those are fabulous names indeed, but I'm surprised they're not Yazdegard and Shapur. :D

stevex6 likes this.
  7. medoraman

Lol, I tried Shapur and Constantine. My wife vetoed those. :(

stevex6, John Anthony and Ardatirion like this.
  8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

If you name him Yazdegard, he could buy a little farm in New York and host concerts...

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

JA => welcome back, brother!! ... I'm glad to hear that your summer was great!! (we've definitely missed your coin-ness)

Fantastic addition to your family tree!! (sweet coin)

:)

John Anthony likes this.
  10. John Anthony

That went over my head, Bill, but your posts usually require research, lol.

Also, did you get an email from me yesterday, and when are you coming down for a barbecue?

11. John Anthony

Thanks Jerry - I'm looking forward to being envious of your acquisitions again. You have great taste, brother.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Yasgur

I did get your email! I had completely forgotten about it.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

JA, I missed ya. Glad to have you back. Jerry needs someone like you to pull in the reigns once in a while. BTW, nice coin. Great detail.

Medman: Did I miss something? I didn't know you were pregnant (figuratively speaking of course). Congrats on the new addition to your family. You need to post a pic of Lil Alexander next to a coin of his namesake.

stevex6 likes this.
  14. John Anthony

Nah, no big deal. I've had quirky things happen with PayPal recently. Hopefully the bugs are out.

Woodstock! Of course.

15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well back JA-missed ya bud!;)

John Anthony likes this.
  16. John Anthony

Hey Bing - have your made any new additions to your galleries? Should I check them out?

Is it possible to pull in Jerry's reins? I don't really want the job.

And thanks Noob, you da man.

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Lots of new additions, but nothing earth shattering. Check out my newest Volusian and Macrinus.

John Anthony likes this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Welcome back & great fausta. My example is below.

[​IMG]
    Fausta (324-326 A.D)
    AE3
    O: FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG Mantled bust right. Bare
    headed; waved hair drawn into a bun at the back.
    R: SALVS REI-PVBLICAE Fausta standing facing, head left,
    holding Constantine II and Constantius II as babies.
    STR dot-in-crescent
    Trier RIC 483
    3.15g
    19mm

Ripley, chrsmat71, Bing and 3 others like this.
  19. John Anthony

Howdy Mat - great coin!

You might like to know that the Trajan denarius you sold me is my number one show-and-tell piece. Nobody in my immediate circle is really interested in numismatics, but they all like looking at that coin.

Mat likes this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats good to hear. It is a nice coin with nothing wrong with it. I just get bored with some coins or I happen to like a portrait better on a new one so off to a new home an older one goes.

John Anthony likes this.
  21. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Welcome back JA, We've had a great summer here in the the Great NW. But fall is in the air, trees are turning to there fall colors...:(
    Great look'in coin to come back with, very nice ...:)

John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted