Heritage Auction House

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by marbury518, Aug 20, 2010.

1. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

and after you two have spoken, hopefully you both will post the resolution and outcome of how this customer was treated - I think it is important to know - so the rest of us can make informed decisions.

Thank you both, in advance, for that update. I should add that the post above this one, was made before I read the Heritage rep's post. I got antsy with the quick reply and want to be a smart donkey to Dougs post. Sorry.

There are a lot of exclusive Heritage buyers here, has anyone see a coin re-listed that they were bidding on that the "house" won? Isn't or wouldn't the buyers fee on some of these coins, be equal to a nice profit in itself? How much are those fees? 10%

What I don't understand is that since they are providing a service (auctioneering). Since it is their rules, their disclosure, don't they have the opportunity to buy the coin outright before a listing? Don't they have a limit in mind? Why is that number not the starting or reserve price if it is a coin they are interested in? Oh I see! they got the leverage with the seller plus that margin of fees to .. ok I'm going to stop. I feel sick.

Lately, (especially since joining CT) I have been wondering whether I am screwed up with all my fanatical support of eBay. I have been wondering, if after hundreds if not thousands of hours of research and learning, that I should have sent 50k through an auction site like Heritage. looking back. I am happy with my decision.

I want to thank CT with my deepest gratitude. I am serious. Without CT I would not have learned what I just did. Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

If a person wants to consign a coin to auction, as opposed to selling it via a private sale, then no, the auction house can't buy it outright before the listing.

And it is up to the consignor to set a reserve if he wishes to do so. The fact that the auction house might wish to bid on the coin, is a completely different matter from setting a reserve on it.

Yes, the buyer's premium is part of what the auction house makes (although they don't always make that entire amount). They provide an excellent service at competitive rates and expose coins to a multitude of potential bidders in a way that Ebay and individual sellers can't come close to matching.

Draft saved Draft deleted