Help with 50 Centesimi (1889) quality grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Alexlis, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Alexlis

Alexlis New Member

Hi Everyone at Cointalk,

As a novice, but excited collector, I could use a little help with this coin since I mostly collect Scandinavian coins, especially from Greenland.

Hope to hear from someone

Br Alexlis IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0523.JPG

Derick likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I don't know what the grade is, but it's in pretty good shape.

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

5. Alexlis

Alexlis New Member

Thank s for the link and the fast response guys. Could have waited for days in a Danish forum.

Yes it is surely an interesting coin with lots of history surrounding it.

What about the black stripes/spots-Are they posible to remove/clean by a skilled person?

I read in an old danish coin magazine (1980) that coins from this periode and especially the silver coins often are found fake.

6. stefy

stefy New Member

This is a rare coin worth hundreds of euros\dollars. Did you pay it a lot or did you find it in a junkbox?
    The original is 83,5% silver, so it isn't magnetic. Check it with a magnet.

7. Alexlis

Alexlis New Member

I bought a collection few months ago, quite a mess at an online auction.Mostly becourse of some Greenlandic coins that i had my eye on.The coin was not featured at fotos or anything.The magnet dosen't bite:)

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. The skilled person would have to examine the coin in hand before he could hazard a guess. And even then that's all it would be, a guess. You see, nobody ever knows how a coin will turn out when you start to mess with it, it is always a crapshoot. And there is always the risk that you will make the coin worse than it was before you tried to "fix" it.

9. stefy

stefy New Member

You can clean your coin without problems because... it's fake.
    I posted it on an Italian numismatic forum and I got the response.
    I'm sorry for you, I hope other your coins are real, post them if you have doubts.

10. stefy

stefy New Member

Another forumer said tant'è real. Let's wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted