Help me pick out my next coin from these 3 choices

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by treylxapi47, Apr 4, 2014.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I think the conversation is focused on a narrow range between AU58 and MS60-61. I doubt anyone would argue that in general, MS coins are preferable to circulated coins. It's the ones just barely on either side of the line that are debatable.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I'm only talking about the 2 coins in this thread. The MS61 has at least 3 very prominent gouges, 2 of which are in the fields. The AU58 does not have any major hits that stick out, and it is attractively toned even if it were dipped at one time, so yes, that is the coin I would rather buy.

I'm not making any wild assumptions because I know that there are plenty of nice looking 61's and crappy looking 58's out there. I returned a 58 recently (an early Soviet 50 Kopek) because it had a fresh new scratch across the field that didn't show up in the seller's photos.

However, it is still my understanding that a 58 is supposed to have minimal marks and above average eye appeal. Whether the TPG's consistently apply this rule would be another conversation...

Mainebill likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Couldn't agree more this particular 61 in my opinion is a dud

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My post was in response to only the first part of your question.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Considering that you have $123 to spend, the answer is clear.

7. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I went with the 1854 AU-58. It made a coin with a book value of approximately $425 (which was the asking price) down to $300.

The 1858 was priced at $500, or about $80 over book value. So even with my eBay bucks I would've paid roughly the book prices.

The Morgan would've been free, but I don't think it was anything spectacular and you can find thousands of them toned nicely and in decent grades. Don't think you'll see a fraction of seated coins in the better grades compared to Morgan Dollars.

If you want to see a REAL MS-61, I have one of those too. I think she is gorgeous.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396831173.585122.jpg

And Proof-Like to boot. Pretty sure she is undergraded and could go a point or two higher. I'm just afraid of losing the PL designation if I send it to NGC. Plus there's still that terminally black toning near the 12 o'clock position in the reverse. Still a hot little number though.

8. Mainebill

I think its a bit under too looks more 63 ish and I cont see any major marks I think you'll be happy with the 54 the arrows is a better type and I find it to be a pretty coin

9. Numismatic33

Numismatic33 Member

'54 quarter!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  10. treylxapi47

Well the 1854 quarter arrived today.

She is beautiful and the pictures do NOT do her justice. The toning is superb and looks mostly original and the luster is amazing for that type of tone. What a coin.

Of course as soon as I landed her I found another seated quarter in MS-62 that I snagged for under $400. It's an addiction I swear!

11. Mainebill

Glad it was a winner for you she looked like a beauty from the pics a coin I'd have bought too!!

12. treylxapi47

Thanks bill. You've been picking up some real winners too.

Mainebill likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Thanks!! Been on a seated kick too lately been all over the place except early coins and trade dollars is odd for me but there's been too many pretty coins out there

14. treylxapi47

Here's my next one. They are kinda shoddy seller photos, but it had a best offer option and he accepted my first offer. Can't complain since I paid what I wanted and under current market values.

Here she is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397093140.413958.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397093148.264656.jpg

Mainebill likes this.
  15. treylxapi47

You know I just pulled out my five or six seated quarters and that '54 is easily my second favorite right now. She's right behind that Proof-Like one I have. I love that one ALOT, but this new one is definitely in second.

Great eye to everyone who chose this one in the 'vote'.

16. Mainebill

Thanks I really liked that 54 just as much as I really didn't like that 58 I like that 57 you just got too a winner!

17. treylxapi47

The seller accepted $375. That's cheap for a mint state seated quarter. At least I think it is anyway.

18. treylxapi47

I do hope it has more luster than that picture though. That was one thing that surprised me about the 54. Ton of luster through that beautiful toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted