Hello PLEASE help me with an I.D. on ths token??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Frankp36, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

Hello all,

Can somebody PEASE help me I.D. this token. I THINK its British....not sure!!! Any & all info would be really appreciated. The pics are clear so that should be you need. I did a lot of research and found nothing. Im hoping its rare and worth something!!!! lol

THX A LOT TO ALL,

Frankp36 002.JPG 003.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Google will tell you that "Cwmavon" is a village in Wales, and the "New Inn" is probably a pub. You could email the library (they have one) or a public official, with an image, and inquire if they remember such a token, or, the New Inn...

edit//The New Inn apparently still exists, and it is a pub (public house).
    New Inn
    (01495) 773706
    130 High Street, Pontypool, NP4 7AE (next door to Cwmavon)

Directions | Category: Public Houses

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I don`t see a photo ??

5. doug444

The OP's original image of the token, in the first post in this thread.

6. daveydempsey

I see it now after refreshing.

Its a pub token 3D was Three Old Pence.and as Doug said its from Wales.
    I would say dated 1915-1930
    Workers would purchase the tokens when they were paid and use them to buy beer at a later time.

7. daveydempsey

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

i want it can i trade you a silver eagle for it..

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Offers to buy, sell, or trade are verboten outside of the specified forums......

10. doug444

Or by PM, right?

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

"A - Offers to buy, sell or trade by individuals and/or dealers are not permitted in any way, shape or form in threads and/or posts. If you wish to make such an offer, contact the other party by Private Message or email."

12. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

lol...I dunno...its there! THX

13. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

WOW,,,,thx for ur help....what do u think its worth?? More or less??

14. doug444

Impossible to say, and anyone who gives you a specific number is likely making a WAG. If you can find precisely the same token in a retail ad, or an auction realization, then you have an estimate. I suggest you do what I recommended, email the New Inn, include an image, and ask this question, i.e., Can you tell me the years that this design of token was used? Don't indicate it's for sale or that you're looking for offers. Just sit back and see what develops. In the meantime, you might watch www.delcampe.com for similar tokens.

For oddball items like this, I always tell the owner they might have the last copy on earth. On the other hand, for $50, I think I'd kiss it goodbye, and buy yourself a coin you really want. It's all guesswork.

And "...would purchase the tokens when they were paid and use them to buy beer at a later time..." This prevents Mama from raiding your pants pockets for a few pence to buy a bottle of milk for the babies. :jawdrop:

15. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

ok sorry

16. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

THX A LOT!!

17. doug444

What you will be doing, by the way, is letting the possibly-best customer in the world KNOW that there's one out there, but he doesn't know if it's for sale, and therefore he thinks about it all the time. He asks his mates in the bar what he should do. Etc., etc. It may take a while, but down the line an offer may be forthcoming. Or he may bluff and say he has a barrel of them in the basement. Very unpredictable, but little or no downside to probing without making a commitment. Before the Internet, in the stamp trade, I would write a letter to (winning) exhibitors at stamp shows, along with a Xerox copy of an item, and suggest it would enhance their exhibit. Some bought, some didn't. The basic premise is to find the most likely buyer in the world, and wear him down, until he buys just to get rid of you...

Frankp36 likes this.
  18. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

can u email me??? I have question??

19. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

pu
    pub tokens can be scarce and tokens of wales are always very collectable.the use is a bit vague but after a hard days work an employer might give his worker a token and say,have a drink on me.they were also used by the military when soldiers had to go on a long march from one base to another they would be given one to buy their food and drink

20. doug444

I think it was more of a case that there was a persistent shortage of small-denomination coins throughout Great Britain, at least until World War One. Merchants took advantage of this situation by minting tokens, #1 good only at their establishment, and #2 providing free advertising. As long as they did not call or consider them "money," the Government didn't mind. On the downside, merchants, #1 had to bear the cost of minting, and #2 the risk of counterfeiting. As tokens went out of favor, a merchant would withdraw them permanently and perhaps destroy them, as their usage and redemption reduced his real-money revenues.

Frankp36 likes this.
  21. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

this is a good description of trade tokens but pub tokens were not trade tokens.i have found my book pub tokens England and wales 1830-1920 which states their use was in pub games,admission to pubs with concert halls,by societies meeting in pubs and by shops etc. giving workers a gift.the author of this book Yolanda Courtney got her doctorate in the study of pub tokens--a friend had the total stock from a pub in Birmingham,just 90 tokens they were originally bought 100 for half a crown.i am sure that all pub tokens have very small mintage

Draft saved Draft deleted