Guess the Grade for a Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'Contests' started by jolumoga, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Actually, the coin is being shipped to me. According to the email I received, it was graded a 63. I will thus find a random process (possibly a free computer program, though I may do it with pieces of paper) to select a winner. I will be announcing the winner shortly. I appreciate the interest in this contest. I will give the winner a nice 1925 Peace dollar. I'll also post a photo of the slab when I get it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Four members have tied in correctly guessing the grade of MS63. They are:

1. furryfrog02
    2. K2Coins
    3. Animosity
    4. rlm's cents

I will use random.org software to generate a winner, from 1 to 4. As I type this, I do not know the winner. I bring up all of these names because they each deserve credit for correctly guessing the grade of the coin.

The winner is:

Animosity

I will PM Animosity to send him or her the Peace dollar.

P.S. I highly recommend the random number generator from random.org.

4. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Animosity... good goin ya lucky dog... Animosity is also the name of my favorite C.O.C. record! Thx jolumoga for the contest!!

Animosity likes this.
  5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

6. Animosity

Animosity Member

Yay! :) I responded to the PM, and I"ll post pics once I receive the prize!

Thanks so much for the contest Jolumoga!

edit: On another note, this will actually be my first Peace dollar! What an exciting day! :)

7. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

That's great. I started my collection basically by buying a 1923 Peace dollar just a couple of years ago. I thought it was great to have a coin symbolizing the hope of world peace following a devastating world war. I also like the design, even though it lacks the detail of the Morgan dollar. I believe Peace dollars are great to collect and in some issues are undervalued, since not as many were minted as Morgan dollars.

8. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Here is the coin, slabbed. I am a big fan of the professionalism of ICG.

34.jpg

Animosity likes this.
  9. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Nice.. I too am a fan of ICG.. so much hype over them over-grading but I see a lot of the opposite.. and there are no memberships and the owners aren't coin dealers..

jolumoga likes this.
  10. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Right. ICG is great for authentication, and, aside from the cost of shipping, their authentication is very affordable, especially their coin show discounts (I paid $12 for each coin, I believe, not including shipping). However, in this case, considering I only paid $52 for this coin, the authentication was well worth it. I also authenticated a 1921 Peace dollar that I am now selling on eBay. It's best to submit multiple coins to ICG to get better pricing per coin. For higher-end coins, like some Peace dollars I have that I suspect may be MS66, I'd use NGC or PCGS, though ICG is not a bad choice. I think ICG is great for coins with a value in the range of $75-200, and for coins that have been more often counterfeited.

As far as the perception that they undergrade, it may just be that ICG is ahead of the curve in loosening grading standards slightly, which seems to be occurring with even NGC and PCGS. Supposedly, grading standards were more rigid in the '80s and '90s. Considering that grading standards change from generation to generation, it cannot be said, objectively in any sense, that ICG undergrades, in my humble opinion. I think some old-schoolers grade based on standards in earlier times, which is great for them because it means they are more selective and thus collect better pieces. But perhaps by making the grading a little more flexible, TPGs are inviting more interest in the hobby. After all, it's hard enough for young people to pay their ordinary expenses and then buy a key date mint state Peace dollar with slightly relaxed grading. Perhaps that's the key role ICG plays in the hobby.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  11. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

Congratulations to the winner!!

12. Animosity

Animosity Member

I received the Peace dollar today!

Here are some pics of it for anyone who is interested. The orange on the top of it is just a reflection from the light on my speaker. Thanks for the contest, julumoga! It will be a nice addition to my collection as my first peace dollar. :)

Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

13. nicks559

nicks559 New Member

Ms 60

Nuglet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted