GTG 1818 Capped Bust Half Toner

Discussion in 'Contests' started by theSharpGun, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Guess the Grade!

Poll closed Apr 13, 2014.
  1. AU-53

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU-55

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. AU-58

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  4. MS-60

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. MS-61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. MS-62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MS-63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS-64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MS-65

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. MS-66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Guess the Grade.
    Things have been quiet. I'm procrastinating on studying for my Calc exam and thought this would be fun.
    Before you ask, no it's not mine and I wish! This coin has been on my wish-list for many years now. Who know's where it is....
    In any case onto the GTG specs. This 1818 Capped Bust Half is graded by PCGS. Poll will close within 4 days, so by this weekend.
    The prize...wait for it....bragging rights!
    Good Luck!
    GTG1 (1).jpg GTG1 (3).jpg

jay4202472000 and CoinMike747 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Nice piece,recently got an 1825 in a lesser condition. Congrats are in order!.....

theSharpGun likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm saying au-55 I got a similar 1808 I need to send in on my next shipment this is a bit more spectacular color wise a beauty I'd be happy to own!!

theSharpGun likes this.
  5. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I must reiterate, while I'd love to own a coin like this there's no way I own this piece. I wish though. If somebody knows who owns this piece please PM me :)
    I'd like to throw an offer out there even though I know it'd be swatted down.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am torn between 55 and 58, but I think the color will carry it.

theSharpGun likes this.
  7. Mainebill

I'd be right there with ya tho you were first so you got first rights is an absolutely beautiful coin!!

theSharpGun likes this.
  8. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I used YouTube a lot to get me through Calc 1-3. Lots of good tips on there from Sal, don't remember his YT name though. My TI CAS calculator helped a lot too!

theSharpGun likes this.
  9. Mainebill

I never had to deal with none of that I don't have much of a formal education but I can build a house even a post and beam and make or match any kind of interior woodwork no matter how old

theSharpGun likes this.
  10. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Yeah that's what I do when I don't understand a section or something. I'm doing integrals right now and it's torture. Some good youtubers make the lessons bearable though.

BigTee44 likes this.
  11. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I have an 1819/8 large date, but it only a VG or so details. Some yahoo scratched RHR in the reverse. It was my grandfather's. This coin is magnificent!!!

theSharpGun likes this.
  12. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'll go the other way.... I'm way out on a limb here but I'm going to say it got the nod for MS65. I think they see the weakness as a strike issue.... But that color!

theSharpGun likes this.
  13. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I see AU55 with the amount of wear on the tops of the wing feathers.
    But the toning is really nice.......

theSharpGun likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That excuse could work for the high points, (not that I think it does) but what about the obvious wear in the fields ? No way that could be a strike issue.

theSharpGun likes this.
  15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

65 or 66...voted 65.

theSharpGun likes this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I voted MS60. Old saying... "You know how to tell the difference between an MS60 and an MS62? - The amount of wear."

theSharpGun likes this.
  17. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Old Bust coinage really challenges me...and I think the toning is confusing my eyes too. Is what you see as field wear the areas that are more purplish/blue in color near the bust...verses the area around the stars where the color is yellow/green/blue? The purple area appears to have A LOT less luster present verses the yellow/green/blue areas near the stars and rim.

Are you attributing that decreased luster to wear? Obviously...wear causes luster to disappear. But, couldn't that also be due to the darker toning in those areas muting the luster? How can you tell that difference in the photo...without seeing the coin in hand?

theSharpGun likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Luster shines through that purple just fine - look at the bust and the cap. Plenty of luster there in all the low points, but gone on the high points isn't it. You know why it's gone on the high points ? Wear, same reason it's gone in the fields.

Like I said, the excuse that it might be a weak strike, which is the only excuse there can be in this case, works for the high points. But when you look at the rest of the coin and think for a minute - suddenly it doesn't work anymore.

theSharpGun likes this.
  19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK...that makes sense. At what point does toning start to mute the luster?

theSharpGun likes this.
  20. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

AU58 for me.

theSharpGun likes this.
  21. austyn

austyn Member

au-55 I'm new but have been collecting for almost 5 years my first coin was a 1924 wheat penny in good condition

theSharpGun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted