GOLD toned..plated..pmd? +bonus 6 claw? Alaska Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jookey2003, Apr 16, 2014.

1. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Still0010 (1024x768).jpg Got this quarter as change the other day. 2008 D Alaska Statehood Quarter. more pics soon ........malfunction

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

These die chips are quite common. In searching bags & rolls of the AK SQ's, I found dozens of them. I even had a few that had multiple chips between the claws.

There are several of the other SQ's like CA, GA & UT that have so many die breaks (chips & cracks) that it was nice to find one without any from time to time.

Chris

4. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

plated

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      583 KB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      606.2 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      336.9 KB
      Views:
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Can you weigh it?

Chris

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

money :)

8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This coin is probably just toned , I have hundreds of them that turned to a brillant gold color and some of them are a deep copper color. I'm thinking this may be because of something the mint used to wash the planchets in. I did a test by washing a few of the new coins in soapy water then rinsed them in water and the cleaned ones will not tone like this. this pretty much confirms that something is on the coins when they come from the mint to cause them to change colors.

9. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Yea I can and already did, after reading about some sac dollar errors. Its the same as a standard one.

Attached Files:

10. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Would a toned coin be gold like this one on the reeded edge? I know there are places that you can "Gold Plate Your State Quarter"

11. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Nice Cat

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

meow?

13. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Sorry to bug you about it again, but just curious.. Do the coins you have that turn the brilliant gold color, stil have the copper color showing on the reeded edge?

14. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

couldn't it be the gold plated version of the state hood quarters/ i have a bunch of them still in their boxes. Maybe somebody got into dads coin collection and spent it. could also explain why the reed is gold as well......just a though.

jookey2003 likes this.
  15. Briboy07

16. Briboy07

oh and the Dad is going to be mad mad mad

Draft saved Draft deleted