Gold "dipped" Nickels... Ruined? What's the point?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thatmatt, Oct 23, 2011.

1. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

I hope this hasn't been beaten like a dead horse but I'm looking at "Lots" of coins and eBay and I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280555359278

To me this is weird. Are these now essentially junk? Even though they may have been junk already before the plating. I don't know it just irks me to see this. It's like those American Eagles that are painted and make me want to puke when I see them.

Is this legal? I'm sure it is but not sure it should be.

Matt

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

The reason why they are gold plated is either because it is like a gold rackateer nickel which in 1883, people would gold plate them and pass them off as $5 gold coins which back then was a HUGE return of $4.95 for only a 5 cent piece and people want one just for a conversational piece or they want a rackateer nickel "even though there not genuinly old" or they just did it for fun :p but it is perfectly legal to do.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the racketeer nickels sure got headlines. I have never personally seen one I would believe is genuine to the time. They may have made a few back then, but all I have seen over the years were made later.

5. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

Thanks, by making what I thought was a stupid post I learned a lot about something I had never heard of. I looked up these racketeer nickels, what a neat story.

Matt

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes they are junk, they were very low value items before they were plated, and yes it is perfectly legal to plate them.

Draft saved Draft deleted