Getting Nervous... So I Bought A Safe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ikandiggit, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MoneyTalk513

MoneyTalk513 Junior Member

i have safe but its a gun safe and it weighs about 2 pounds and is perfect for my collection. the only problem is someone could easily run away with it. But no one will ever find it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MoneyTalk513

MoneyTalk513 Junior Member

i like how he said it was a very loving cat and then it attacks him.

4. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

I want to see someone lift a 400 lb safe.

Also, I would hope the safe is hidden.

Keep the safe hidden behind a painting (just like the movies).

No one should know you have a safe.

5. JDS

JDS Junior Member

I am one of those who were recently burglarized. This is the second time in three years that our home was broken into, and I don't expect it will be the last. Thankfully, my coin collection was not stolen. I think it helped that we had an alarm and the thieves were not able to take a lot of time.

I'm taking steps to strengthen our alarm system. We're adding a siren that will sound loudly to the neighborhood, and will eventually install a wireless system to prevent would be thieves from simply cutting our phone lines.

After the alarm system has been updated, I will purchase a safe and later maybe a shot gun to greet them should they show up while I am home. I hate that I have to take all these measures just to keep stuff in my own home, but that's where we are as a society. Crimes like this occur everywhere.

Good luck with your safe. I think it's a wise move.

6. poppa501

poppa501 older'n dirt

Along the same lines--Do any of you have your collectiions (or specific coins) insured? How do you go about this?
    Thanks'
    Poppa

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Congratulations on your safe...it will help keep your stuff "safe"
    :D

poppa - there area a few company's that insure cause your home owners won't.
    I believe that the ANA site has a company and so does PCGS's site if you go look.

8. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Many of you may have seen my previous post about my recent car break-in, our city was literally voted the "safest city in the country" for several years - so, Green is right, it doesn't really matter how nice your neighborhood is. Actually, as the police officer said to me referring to people who live in "poorer" neighborhoods who steal - where do you think they're going to do their thieving, in the poor neighborhood they live in, or in the nicer wealthier neighborhood a few miles away?

I agree that whatever steps you take to be safe are better than nothing. Anything to deter or even delay those nasty thieves can only be helpful. As a matter of fact, as I'm writing this, a guy is here installing a monitored security system in our house. My car is currently in the shop being repaired from the break in, and as soon as I get it back, a beefed up new car security system is next!

p.s. - a bit off topic for a sec - Green, my husband saw your avatar as I was writing, and was quite impressed with your Lightning P-38 picture (and wanted me to let you know)! He appreciates old airplanes too!

9. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I got a 1400 LB TL-30 safe this year. As it was being craned off the truck and my neighbors were watching I knew my good intentions were somewhat flawed.

Bolt yours to the floor!! Mine is. Someone whacked on drugs may not get the safe out but they will ruin things trying. Bolted they have little chance.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's Tommy McGuires old bird Charmy. I'm sure your husband knows who he was. :smile

11. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

My hubby just read the bio on McGuire and found it very interesting (he's a big fan of the P-40 Chinese Air Force Flying Tigers commanded by Chennault).

12. oldgold

oldgold Junior Member

A floor safe is in the concrete slab is probably the the best way to go if you want a safe - if:
    a.) you don't have flooding, or water table issues.
    b.) you can install it yourself - nobody knows it is there.

They are cheap and very hard to defeat.

13. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

14. JDS

JDS Junior Member

I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that a cheap safe will work for my purposes.

Of the two times that my home was burglarized, the crooks were not professional at all. In fac the first time they were just young kids. We did not have an alarm at that time, so the people had time to ransack our house.

The second time was the week before this Christmas. We had an alarm and the police arrived in 15 minutes. The crooks moved fast, and completely bypassed my coin collection which was sitting out in the open. The cops realized that these people did not know what they were doing.

I think that the typical creep who breaks into a house is not going to come prepared to pry a safe open. I think my cheap safe bolted to the floor will provide one more layer of protection to deter the typical thief.

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Very obviously your not in the New York or Chicago area. PARANOID? In the Chicago city limits they recently reported the Murder rate is down to less than the usual 700/year. However, auto thefts are still in the 40,000 area. Home invasions are as common as drive by shootings. Robberies on the streets are hardly ever kept on records since there are so many. PARANOID? Try taking a walk in the park by the lake some night by yourself.
    A nighbor of mine USED to think a large safe was the answer plus an alarm system wired to a company. He went on vacation and a moving van pulled up while his family was gone. As they emptied the house, neoighbors asked the so called movers what was up. They told the neighbors that the people liked it so much where they were at, they decided to stay there. While they were removing everything the phone rang. It was the security company. They asked what was happening and the so called movers told them it was an accident with a door. They took everything including the large safe bolted to a wall and then took the alarm system too.
    PARANOID??????????????

16. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

17. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

:-O WHATTT?...they took the alarm too, talk about a wipeout. I could not imagine that.

18. hiho

hiho off to work we go

For me a safe deposit box is still the best idea, and I have two at separate local banks. I can walk to either in about 8 minutes if I need to photograph or sell something. Plus there is a great pizza place nearby so it's a win win situation. It works for me.

19. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

i own a nice large safe working on 3 filing cabinets or one large one.. get insurance and get ya safe wired..

20. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

A few years ago there was a guy who was working when two guys pulled a tow truck up to His house, backed the boom through the front door, hooked up to the safe that was in the basement (bolted down) and ripped it out. They drove 2 miles down the road and opened the safe with some torches.
    A neighbor witnessed the whole thing (while on the phone with 911) and said that the thieves took no more than a few minutes to pull the safe out. This was in the country, so the police response time would not be good. (Although in certain parts of cities You could drive down the street with a safe dragging behind You and nobody would think twice)

Bottom line is that We should be really careful who We talk to about Our valuables. The tow truck bandits knew that there was gold in a safe, and took the measures necessary to get it.

21. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

I love this topic. I first bought a safe for my firearms as a classy and orderly way to store them. Mainly to keep them from being mishandled. I could have simply run a locking cable through the trigger guards and if that was clipped then my responsibility is over and its on the thief, or kids at that point. There are heaters you can put in safes to dehumidify them and work at low energy, but I would never put coins in a safe with fired guns or especially guns that have been cleaned and oiled. That would have the possibility to negatively turn coins all kinds of colors. I can see any safe bolted to the floor having its side wall drilled and a cordless sawsall make a huge door on the side. I choose to not get all uptight about it and bet that it won't happen. I don't let the safe sales people beat a drum of fear to get me to buy stuff I don't need. I prefer a drill resistant steel safe bolted to the floor and dehumidified and a smaller fireproof safe placed inside that for papers. The Sentury fire safe is rated at 1200 degrees for 30 min, and the gun safe creates a dutch oven that holds the air inside at close to 300 degrees makeing the firesafe easily able to outlast a housefires fuel.

Concerning coins though, I consider them an asset to my family. If they become the flame that attracts thieves and murderers, then I should keep them away from myself and family. But I refuse to let that wreck it for me. Owning coins is a joy and although there is certainly risk involved, I find myself traveling with coins and cash and sometimes feel weird at times, until I look around a bourse and realize we are all in the same situation and the anxiety passes. If I ever was a victim of theft, I most certainly would feel horrible, but it would not crush my financial situation and actually only be a minor setback to a wonderful life.

Draft saved Draft deleted