Geographic Personifications

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but doesn't mean I cant play right? Below are a few of mine. Most of my 'depiction of ...' coins are from the Hadrian travel series. That series contains some very interesting bronzes as well, eg Mauretania. I wonder if some one from CT has a few of the scarcer bronzes from that series.

19.TS.3.png

19.TS.4.png

19.TS.5.png

19.TS.6.png

And that's a very nice Alexandria denarius @Terence Cheesman! Here's mine, and I'm very glad I was able to obtain this one.

19.TS.7.png

And two LRBs:

CityComm Roma.png

PersecIssue.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins! Do you know what attributes Gallia is supposed to have? I can't really see any. A beret and a Gauloise, perhaps?

Orfew likes this.
  4. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

Here are two coins I have that commemorate the capture of Armenia by Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius. This conquest gave them the title of Armeniacus.

LuciusVerus.png
    Denarius of Lucius Verus 163 AD - 164 AD, Rome mint, RIC.III.509(m_aur). Obv.: L VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS, Head of Lucius Verus, bare, right. Rev.: TR P IIII IMP II COS I, ARMEN (in ex.), Armenia seated left on ground, surrounded by arms, resting left hand on bow and quiver; before her, vexillum and shield.

MarcusAurelius.png
    Denarius of Marcus Aurelius 163 AD - 164 AD, Rome mint, RIC.III.80(m_aur), RSC.8, BMC.271. Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG ARMENIACVS, Head of Marcus Aurelius, bare, right. Rev.: P M TR P XVIII IMP II COS III, ARMEN (in ex.), Armenia seated left on ground, surrounded by arms, resting left hand on bow; before her, vexillum and shield.

Note, that the personifications here indeed depict some characteristics of the captive region. In particular, the elongated headwear, depending on a specific reverse type, depicts either the Armenian tiara or lesser headwears seen on the coinage of Armenian satrap states, such as Armenia Minor. The style is also different from the personification of Parthia, which appears on analogous coins (also giving the title Parthicus to L.V. and M.A.), but with distinct Parthian bashlyk (see below for an example from http://www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=3582648).
    LVerusParth.png

Another geographic personification would be the river Araxes (Arax) swimming below the Tyche city goddess (see F.L. Kovacs 2016). My coin below is from the Tigranocerta (Tigranakert, Armenia) mint.

TigranesTheGreat.png
    Tetrachalcoi of Tigranes II (The Great), 80 BC - 68 BC, Tigranocerta (Armenia) mint, Kovacs.81. Obv.: head of Tigranes II right, wearing Armenian flapped five-pointed tiara, decorated with 8-pointed star between two eagles. Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN TIΓPANOY, Tyche seated right, holding palm, below, river-god Araxes swimming right, letter A above the river god, and TP monogram above the hand of Tyche.

This type of Tigranes coins, with different mintmarks and denominations, was also produced in other cities, and upon Tigranes' expansion there, in Antioch. For the Antioch coins, the river god is naturally attributed to the river Orontes. Seems the ancients gave proper credit to the rivers that were giving rise to, or were an essential attributes of, the great cities. On another note, there is also a later commemorative issue for Artaxiata (Artashat) city, an Armenian capital, also situated on Araxes river, depicting only the head of Tyche, who could have been a general depiction of a city, hence a city goddess, with the headwear out of a stronghold.

Armenia personification also appears on the coin of Trajan, stating "ARMENIA ET MESOPOTAMIA IN POTESTATEM P R REDACTAE" in its reverse. It shows the reclining figure of Armenia, surrounded by the river gods Tigris and Euphrates (rivers that start from Armenian Highlands). Some listings mistakenly mention "reclining figure of Mesopotamia", but the Armenian headware, and the exact historical events this coin is linked to, confirms the former. An example of that coin is below (from http://www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=2574675).

TrajanArmenia.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

As you know, Donna, this depiction of Britannia (more or less) was on the reverse of all British copper coins for many years. Here is a penny of my birth year:

BRITISH PENNY (Circulated)

5A8BE3DF-679E-4551-9333-8812FCAB827D.jpeg C7860782-A157-4CE7-9E14-9407A6C14110.jpeg
    Obverse: George V, bare headed, facing left
    Reverse: Britannia wearing Corinthian helmet, seated right, holding trident with left hand and supporting shield with right hand

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I am not a beret wearer but I sure miss the gauloises.(very nice with some real absinthe)

DonnaML likes this.
  7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

One of the multiple reasons that I started collecting Hadrian's travel series was the personification of the countries he visited, as illustrated on each coin's reverse:

Africa:
    With lion:
    H2 - Hadrian AV aureus Africa lion.jpg

With scorpion:
    H6 - Hadrian AV aureus Africa scorpion.jpg

H3 - Hadrian AE sestertius Africa scorpion.jpg

The Nile (Nilus) with hippo and crocodile:
    H4 - Hadrian AV aureus Nilus.jpg

Aegyptos (with Ibis):
    H7 - Hadrian AV aureus Aegyptos.jpg

Hispania (with rabbit):
    H8 - Hadrian AV aureus Hispania.jpg

Let's not forget Nero (port of Ostia with the river Tiber personified reclining at bottom):
    6b - Nero AE sestertius.jpg

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Sulla80 and Clavdivs like this.
  10. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Yes I have Britannia. I believe Hadrian was the first to depict her, and those are very expensive. This is Antoninus Pius:

upload_2020-8-23_20-43-37.png
    Bronze As, 154-155. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII. BRITANNIA - COS IIII, SC. Probably minted for use in Britain.

11. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thank you. And a good question. Im not sure. Interesting about this coin vis-a-vis other travel series coins and this reverse lacks an attribute of Gallia. No rabbit, scorpion, globe or whatever.
    The head wear perhaps is a specific attribute. I do not see it in the description of any other coin of the same type, however. One hint perhaps is given via the deiscription of a very rare antoninianus of postumus: on that reverse, Gallia is wearing a mural crown. I wonder if anyone else has an idea?

DonnaML likes this.
  12. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Does this Sarmatian captive count?
    cons.jpg Constantine I, AD 306-337. SARMATIA DEVICTA
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: SARMATIA DEVICTA, Victory advancing right, holding trophy on right arm, branch in left hand, spurning captive seated on ground right, head turned back,
    PTR(cresent) in ex.
    Trier 323-4 AD

And a few river-gods.

River-god Kilbos
    cilbianiGeta.jpg

Lydia, Cilbiani. Geta AE18. River-god Kilbos

Obv: L CEP GETAC KAI, laureate, draped bust right.
    Rev: KILBIANW N TWNANW, River-god Kilbos reclining left, holding reed and cornucopiae, resting arm on overturned urn from which waters flow.

River-god Meandros
    bouleHyrgalies.jpg
    Phrygia, Hyrgaleis. Boule / Meandros reclining.
    Obv: IERA BOYLH / Veiled bust of Boule r.
    Rev: YRGALEWN TO TS' / River-god Meandros reclining l.
    Between 221 and 222

River-god Kazanes
    themisonion.jpg Phrygia, Themisonion. AE22. Sozon/Kazanes
    Obv: Radiate and draped bust Sozon right.
    Rev: River-god Kazanes, holding reed, reclining left on overturned amphora.
    3rd cent AD.

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Magnificent coins as always @IdesOfMarch01 - thank you for posting them.

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Well, Rhenus does at least have his pointy little horns...

Postumus - Horned Rhine.jpg

I do agree that the depictions of some of the personifications lack abit of imagination, though.

I'm pretty sure the bare breasted one on the Domitian denarius is female? I've also always assumed the Dacia on the Decius coins was female.

Trajan Decius - Dacia Rare Standard 1957.jpg

15. DonnaML

I guess you're right. I didn't look that closely at the Germania figure before, and that's definitely a female breast on one side! On my initial glance, I saw short hair and thought the figure looked rather strapping to be a female personification. But, then again, she's German! My Decius Dacia is sort of androgynous -- the hair isn't nearly as long as on yours -- but again, I suppose she could be female.

Roman Collector and zumbly like this.
  16. DonnaML

At some point, I think I'll try to make a list of all the personifications shown in this thread, as well as others mentioned but not shown (such as some of the more obscure provinces visited by Hadrian, like Mauretania).

Sulla80 likes this.
  17. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

HadrianRestHisp.jpg
    Hadrian. 117-138 AD. AR Denarius. (18mm; 3.31 gm; 6h). Struck circa 134-138 AD. Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate head right. Rev: RESTITVTORI HISPANIAE, Hispania kneeling right, holding branch; Hadrian standing left, holding roll, about to raise her; long-eared rabbit between them. RIC II 327; BMCRE 889; RSC 1260.

18. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

PompeyJrDen.jpg
    Roman Imperatorial. The Pompeians. Cnaeus Pompey Jr. Summer 46-Spring 45 BC. AR Denarius (3.75 gm, 6h,19mm). Corduba mint. Marcus Poblicius, legatus pro praetore. Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right. Rev: Hispania standing right, shield on her back, holding two spears over shoulder and presenting palm frond to Pompeian soldier (Pompey the Great?) standing left on prow, armed with sword. Crawford 469/1a; CRI 48; Sydenham 1035; RSC 1 (Pompey the Great).

19. Clavdivs

Quote: "But, then again, she's German!"

@DonnaML = she educates AND entertains!

Awesome!

zumbly, Orfew and DonnaML like this.
  20. DonnaML

Doesn't look like a wabbit to me!

Clavdivs likes this.
  21. Clavdivs

it's amazing what well placed commas say to those who understand.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted