Frustrating day in coin collecting..

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thatmatt, Oct 22, 2011.

1. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

Evening all,

So tonight I won some auctions, like a 1878 Morgan Dollar 7TF (Vam 162 Broken N&M) PCGS AU50 and I am quite pleased in this.

However I'm getting frustrated at all the coins that say "Improperly cleaned" or "NOT GRADABLE". Are they even worth $1 over the silver value considering this? I don't like the thought of them being in my collection. However some I'm looking at are on the "Rare" side. Is this something I'm just being over concerned with or do any of you feel the same?

I don't want to be viewed as a perfectionist with my collection but then again blah...

Maybe I'm just frustrated with my lack of direction when it comes to my collection.

Had a bad day with my roll searching also, so that isn't helping my mood.

Take care,
    Matt

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I've seen alot of the same thing on Ebay and teletrade and such. Those problem coins still seem to sell high, though I suppose some of the more rare coins are within reach of some folks as a details grade so they can fill a spot when a non detail coin is out of reach.

Be interesting to see what others think...

4. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

Good way to look at it and one I didn't even consider. *high five* :D

5. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I think you'd be smart to trust your gut instinct, which is telling you to stay away from problem coins! They'll soon lose favor with you in your collection; soon enough, you'll regret you bought them.

I believe this hobby is served very well by perfectionism (and, fortunately, not at the expense of anyone else)—why not embrace it?!

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

What matters is the overall eye appeal as it relates to your personal tastes.

Bid on the coin, not the slab.

7. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Wasn't a great day for me either spent the whole day waiting for my packages and none of items come.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

As more of the older coins get slabbed and the grading services get more critical, you will either have to have deeper pockets or obtain fewer specimens for your collection. Since many people cannot deal with having less or paying more, the buying standards will lower to meet demand. Either that or collectors will loose interest in the hobby. You can't have a satisfying collection if you cannot fullfill your need to buy. IMHO.

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

If you regret having them in your collection now Matt, a few years from now you probably won't feel any better about them. I've learned over the years that there are some coins you're probably not going to be able to afford. I'm happy with my collection the way it is. If I see something I can't truly get excited about, I just pass on it...and forget it.

Bruce

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Bruce! I realized many, many years ago that I would never be able to build a complete set of Morgan dollars unless I was able to accept either very low-grade and/or problem coins for key-dates. I didn't relish the idea then, and after all these years, I still don't like the idea now.

Stick with your first impressions. If it bothers you, pass on it.

Chris

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Newbies should understand that this is whyshould never clean your coins!

12. rev1774

Agreed, I have plenty of coins that I know I won't be able to get unless I would go for low/problem ones as well.. it's something I have to deal with as well. I just want as good an example of a coin as possible.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This thread is a perfect example of why I was so strongly against NGC and PCGS changing their decades long policy of not slabbing any problem coin. Problem coins should not be in a slab - ever !

That slab presents a false sense of security, it leads unknowing and less knowledgeable collectors to over-pay for problem coins. Heck some of them don't even realize they are problem coins - they just see that all important slab. And that's the only thing that IS important to them.

For years, many years, collectors fussed and fumed and ranted and raved because the coins they themselves could not identify as problem coins were returned to them by NGC and PCGS in body-bags. They claimed they were being treated unfairly. But they weren't. The problem was theirs to begin with. But instead of blaming themselves for own lack of experience and knowledge in identifying problem coins, they preferred to place the blame on somebody else - the TPG. If you think about it it's a typical human reaction. Most of us would ALWAYS prefer to blame somebody else for something that was our own fault. It makes life easier. It makes it easier to look in the mirror.

It's just like going to a dealer's shop or looking on ebay, and then buying that coin you want. Then, when you send that coin to the TPG and they send it back to you in a body-bag - why it's that low life dealer's/seller's fault for selling you that piece of crap coin. It's not your fault - it can't possibly be my own fault !

But it is. It is your own fault for buying it. And it is your own fault for then sending it on to the TPG. YOU made both decisions. You didn't have to, nobody made you or forced you. You could have walked away from both of them. But because you didn't have the knowledge, because you didn't have the experience - you made the mistakes. But it's always easier to say it's somebody else's fault - instead of your own.

And now here we are some years later, after the TPGs changed their policies and decided to slab problem coins. Only now we have those very same collectors, that wanted their problem coins slabbed, questioning whether they should be buying those slabbed problem coins. In a few more years it'll probably be the TPGs fault for putting those coins in slabs to begin with :rolleyes:

end of rant

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Doug,

I second that emotion!

Chris

15. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

Why was the policy changed? I totally agree that these coins shouldn't be slabbed at all.

I guess I feel more of a sense of security buying coins that have been slabbed. I wish I had a decent dealer around here because it wouldn't matter as much if I could see the coin up close. I tend to stay away from unslabbed because I mainly buy from online auctions where I can't see up close what I'm getting.

16. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

I agree with Doug. If it wasn't for NGC or PCGS grading these coins (many, almost microscopic in imperfection) then there wouldn't be this sense of insecurity with them. I would take them out the slab and keep them raw. Always look at your coins closely before purchasing them so when you send it to a TPG, you feel you made the right decision. If it doesn't come back as you wanted it to, study it further and develop your knowledge and experience.

17. rev1774

I would much rather buy slabbed safe coins than raw as well, especially Morgans and Peace Dollars. Around my area though that means only online or the rare chance at an antique shop (usually overpriced).

Most of what is sold around here is raw and usually the lighting isn't the best for viewing them, add to that impatient folks working in the places, no dealer on premises and such. I do only buy graded items online as it is even harder that way.

I have made mistakes and I'm sure I will continue making them. Hopefully, learning from each and I suppose the best way learning is to at least try sending something in for grading and seeing if my hunches and hopefully my skills are getting better.

But you are right, I make the decision to both buy and grade something. I can't blame anyone else for my mistakes but myself. I would not nor could I place blame on either the TPG or the dealer...But that is just me..

18. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

I stay away from them. The one I know of around here tends to get raided by the cops looking for stolen goods.

19. rev1774

These shops here are in no way like that. I don't worry about that issue here if you look up New Oxford, Pa and antiques you will find it is a top area for those in the whole state.

There are no dealers within 25 miles of my location that I am aware of...

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Why is that people always say there's no dealers near them and they have to buy on-line ? But when they do buy on-line, they go to ebay or to some dealer they never heard of. Right there, that's where you make your mistake.

I understand the need to buy on-line. But do so from people you know and trust. Or at the every least from those that somebody you do know and trust recommends to you.

I can think of 5 or 6 dealers, right off the top of my head, that are members on this forum. You can get 50 to 100 recommendations for all them from right here. But how many of you buy coins from these guys - and gals ?

I have a list of trusted dealers posted in the Numismatic Resources section, how many of you have bought coins from them ?

Don't ya get it ? It's where you buy your coins that is the most important thing ! None of these people will sell you a problem coin, unless they tell you up front that IT IS a problem coin. That is the secret for not getting into a situation that you want no part of.

And yeah, I know, somebody is going to say I checked with all those folks. None of them had the coins I wanted or none had what I wanted at the price I can afford. Well if that's the case then you wait until they do. I absolutely guarantee you that they find exactly the coin you want, at the price you want - but you might to wait a bit for them to go get it.

Don't go running off and buy from people you don't know just because they have what you think you want. You won't have to trust pictures. You won't have to trust in return policies. You won't even have to trust in your own knowledge. You won't even have to worry about buying a problem coin at all - as long as you buy from the right people to start with !

21. rev1774

I buy online from a dealer or 2 and have had no problems what so ever.. The one dealer even has layaway for those more high price items a good return policy and coins in my collecting/price range.. I don't mind buying online and it's like you said, buy right and from the right dealers.

If the listing is called coin dealers looks like the last post by you was 2006. I'm guessing most things are still current as far as good reliable dealers..

I was not trying to be judgmental on that statement. I have been out to use the Morgan Dollar section and several of the links are now dead or dying and just wasn't all together sure how many others would be after all that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted