Frustrated eBayer!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by nds76, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Catman

Catman New Member

I guess you now know why I don't use or accept PayPal when I run my auctions or buy stuff on Ebay. Yes, I might lose a sale but that's OK with me. Someone else will be happy to take my money.

catman

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nds76

nds76 New Member

Here's an update. The canadian buyer contacted me about the denial of his credit card payment and he says he'll send cash. Thats ok with me.

David

4. nds76

nds76 New Member

I remember the old days when I didn't have PayPal and all I used were money orders. Times were simpler then it seems.

David

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

It is obviously different for everyone, but we could not afford to lose the bids we would have without accepting Paypal. If you can manage to get the prices you want without taking it, then that's great and I'd get rid of it if I were you. It is a pain in the behind to deal with the headaches. I wish we could stop taking it.

6. nds76

nds76 New Member

How does Bidpay work? I'm not familiar with it.

David

7. Catman

Catman New Member

I never got caught up in it. Ebay sure pushes it. Their latest trick is to not allow me to use a checkout button unless I use paypal. That's OK I just work around it. Ebay is really not buyer friendly.

catman

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Here is the link:
    https://www.bidpay.com/default.asp

The buyer pays the fees and Bidpay sends you a Western Union money order. Once you're registered with them as a seller, all the buyer has to do is put in the auction number and seller ID and the rest of the information is automatically filled in for them. You get an email notifying you that there is a money order on the way to you.

There is no possibility of chargebacks because a Western Union M/O is the same as cash. Once you get the email notification, it's safe to ship the item. You can certainly wait for the actual M/O to arrive if you want to, but we always ship on the confirmation because even if you don't get the money order because of loss in the mail or whatever, they will send you another one to replace it with no hassle at all.

They also have the option of direct deposit into your bank account which we just signed up for last month. It takes roughly 24 hours for the money to be transferred into your account.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

BidPay is a service provided by Western Union. It's fairly simple - you sign up and use your credit card to pay them to send a Money Order to whoever. But the larger the amount - the larger the fee. You also have mailing options - regular mail to next day - the faster is more expensive of course. What it does is save you from going out and getting a M/O and mailing it yourself. I've used it several times when I was too busy to do that.

By the way - I love PayPal. The convenience is worth every penny. And since I seldom sell - the fees aren't much of a bother for me. But the best part is this - if you use your credit card - you have the added protection that offers you. For you can always dispute a credit card charge and your cc company will be on your side - not the other guy's ;)

10. Catman

Catman New Member

Great David. I always like to hear it we two people can work together and get a problem solved.

catman

11. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I am sure that all of you have seen this thread that is also going on right now, but it gets more into detail about the workings of Paypal, so I thought I'd post the link here.
    http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=3955

12. dthigpen

dthigpen New Member

When selling, I've found that accepting all forms of PayPal raises the hammer price on average by 10-15%. I pay 2.9% in Fees to PayPal, get the cash immediately, get extensive records kept for me, give my buyer's a way to pay me that takes all of 15 seconds for them (Reducing NPBs), and get a percentage back when I use my PayPal Debit Card, dwindling the percentage they actually take down almost to the price they're paying the credit card processor themselves. Yeah, I think I'll stick with accepting PayPal ;)

13. tanner520

tanner520 Coin Lover

I don't sell a lot but when using Paypal, I've had no problems. I do consider myself lucky that I've also never had a problem when buying and I do a WHOLE lot of that.

14. Metalman

Metalman New Member

I cancelled my pay pal account as soon as I got my first phished email that had my real pay pal ID number at the bottom.

They have a security problem and always have.

15. BWJR

BWJR Senior Member

ebay and pay pal buyers

I might be wrong, but it seems like the higher bids are from buyers using pay pal. It is the same old story the problem with using a charge card is the feeling that you are not turning over cash. It's the reason why so many people are deep in debt. There is a cousin in our family that is well over $100,000.00 in debt in credit cards. That is just one example of how big the bubble is getting. A word to the wise is sufficient.

BWJR

16. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

Having never sold anything on eBay, I can't help you any on that part of the subject. But, having bought through PayPal, I can say that it has been a perfect operation every time. Absolutely no problems as far as I'm concerned.

17. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Yes actually, I do. They did it for the first couple of years that they were in business. In fact, they promised repeatedly things like "always free", and "never a charge" until they became every buyers darling. Then suddenly they had a complete change of heart on the "never a charge" policy. Today they are the most expensive and highest fraud rated(percentage-wise) company of their type.
    Yes, it's a racket, but a legal one. Legal thieves like them are even worse than banks...and THAT'S pretty low.

There. Now you know how I and many other sellers feel about paypal ;)

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One thing they don't tell you there is that you can only downgrade your account one time. So if you accept a credit card payment a second time you are stuck in the premium account paying fees on every payment.

19. nds76

nds76 New Member

I have pretty much quit using PayPal unless I am buying. I've been now using BidPay on my auctions. It takes a little longer for payment but I can be assured that I will recieve payment in the form I accept.

David

20. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Not necessarily! I, like many others here on the forum, have a bank account especially set up for use with Paypal. It's linked to Paypal for electronic transfers to and from my Paypal account, and it's separeately set up for electronic transfers to my "real" bank account, so I can move funds out of the Paypal-linked account before too much accumulates there.

Draft saved Draft deleted