Found a Quarter today...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by whitefalcon47, Apr 24, 2014.

1. whitefalcon47

whitefalcon47 New Member

Hey all. First post here. As the title says, I found a quarter today in a roll from the bank while I was at work. It struck me as really odd and here's why:

It's missing the back face AND the core. It's a state quarter (no clue on year or which state.. just know it was minted in Denver due to the mint strike). It struck me as something I should be looking into the value for.

I've included several pictures.

Any and all advice, knowledge and skills pertaining would be greatly appreciated!

IMAG0573.jpg IMAG0571.jpg IMAG0572.jpg

-Brandon

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Looks like someone was making a magicians coin (2 headed). Wait for others to be sure.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It has been machined sometime after leaving the mint. I agree with jay, probably an attempt at making a magician's coin.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

somebody has put the coin on a machine and cut the layer out to be hollow. probably to make a mule coin. cool find.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. whitefalcon47

whitefalcon47 New Member

Well, that probably means it holds no real value then. Was attempting to not be hopeful but still a let down lol.

Thanks for the input!

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

some people use lathes to make muled coins. there's also a history of milled out coins to smuggle drugs. my friend that used to work at my 1 and only local coin shop had a very fancy St. Gaudens 20 dollar gold coin watch that was milled out to put the Swiss movement part inside it. it was very cool but probably worth $4,000-5,000 . he collected high end watches as well as high end type coins. he left our coin shop and now work for PCGS as a grader making 100K. talk about a dream job and get paid huge money too. he now can afford more expensive coins and watches. lol

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you might be able to sell it to someone that collects exonumia ? :)

10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you have half of a two headed quarter, you can see the glue inside were the other quarter, milled down to fit, was glued inside the half you have, i have a few of those and gave one to my dad, he left it in his pocket an it went thru the wash an came out in 2 pieces, u can buy em on ebay....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted