Finding coins that came off the same die.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Oct 24, 2011.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Check these out. These are two different coins, but of the same date and mint (both 1998-Ds), and we found them while roll-searching, about a year apart from one another.

They're identical (as far as "identical" goes, that is to say) "struck-in rim burrs," one showing on an obverse, and the other on a reverse. Credit Mike Diamond and CONECA for that description, here: http://board.conecaonline.org/showthread.php?t=3050.

I'll shamelessly add, we just love this pair! :smile

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's a nice pair you have there, Eddie. (I feel kind of creepy saying that.)

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I walked right into that one. :p

Anyway, coincidentally, if you'll click on that CONECA link, you'll see a familiar picture I posted, there. I believe I got that picture from you in a thread I started, here. :)

BTW, I still don't know how you got that picture past security at the Denver Mint, but it's my understanding they're still looking for you. :D

5. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I think these two Lincolns may have come from the same failing die.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No they are from different dies. The lower crack curves down strongly to the ear on the first coin but is much more horizontal on the second.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I often find multiple coins from the same distinctive dies when searching OBW rolls. My theory is that about 4-5 machines are cranking out coins and they are combined into bags. The bags are then rolled and there are often 4-5 distinct die characteristics in each roll. Here's a grease-filled die that I where I found eight (8) of the same coin in a single roll of 1946s Roosies. Here's two (2) of them side-by-side...

Note the missing PLIBUS and the missing Oak leaf features.

[​IMG]

8. LEG END

LEG END Junior Member

100 total, year 2000 Wide AM. All the same reverses die markings.

All of them are from the same die. Billy Crawford is SLOWLY attributing them. Because I AM SLOW. He offers quick turnaround, even though we would all send more coins than he could ever get around to attributing. The hobby needs about fifty Billy Crawfords, but that'll never happen. Heck, just this site needs fifty.

9. LEG END

LEG END Junior Member

2000 Wide AM Die comparisons. Any interest in seeing my 600 or so Wide AM's from year 2000? If I can get some interest I would post all of them. Then you could see the 100 or so from the myriad of each reverse die pair. It would take me a week or more. I opened a Shutterfly account just for this board's purpose, education.

10. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

If you were referring to me, I think you are right. I took some more pics of the toned one to compare, but I don't have the other anymore.
    1940 dime crack.jpg
    1940 dime crack 2.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Although the first crack doesn't make quite as sharp a turn as the first pics show it still has a squiggle that the second coin doesn't appear to have. Amazing how looking at coins side by side they looked so much alike, but the big pics...not so much

11. Zephr

Zephr New Member

I went through a box of half dollars this week and in it I found 3 1998-P halves that have the exact same scratch running from the base of the neck down to the edge between the 1 and the 9.

The cracks are really faint so I don't think my already crappy camera will be able to capture them.

Draft saved Draft deleted