Edge Corrosion on Copper Nickel Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KSorbo, Apr 17, 2014.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I just picked up an 1863 copper nickel Indian cent graded MS62 by NGC. It has surprisingly clean surfaces for a 62 and is dripping with luster and eye appeal. However, the rim is another story, as it has black crusty spots of what looks like corrosion that may be eating a bit in the . It is not blatantly obvious without magnification but it is definitely there as can be seen in the attached photos.

Do TPG's typically certify coins problem free with this type of spotting? It occurred to me that the corrosion could have been cleaned off prior to being sent to NGC and could have come back after slabbing. If this is something that would normally pass muster as is than I am okay with it; I just want to make sure I don't have a problem coin on my hands that got that way post slabbing. I wonder if TPG's are more lenient with corrosion on the edge versus on the surface. Since the coin has such great eye appeal otherwise, perhaps it was graded down due to the spots.
    Edge Corrosion 1.jpg Edge Corrosion 2.jpg Edge Corrosion 3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

For your own peace of mind, I think you should call NGC, 800-642-2646.

You might want to send it in for appearance review, or send it to NCS for an examination to determine if conservation is necessary.

If you send it directly to NCS, it may be at your own expense. However, if you send it for appearance review, NGC might waive the cost of conservation.

Chris

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Just a correction to your terminology.

Your question concerns the "edge", not the "rim".
    That may be important if you send it back so that the evaluators know what to look at.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I contacted the Ebay seller about returning this coin, as I just purchased it last week. The seller's photos were not detailed enough for me to notice this problem before receiving the coin in hand.

I appreciate the feedback. Now I know that I'm not the only one who might be concerned about this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted