ebay transaction gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mocylop, Oct 27, 2011.

1. mocylop

mocylop Member

Hi All,I sold a coin on ebay and the USPS tracking shows the coin was delivered more than 2 weeks ago. I just received an email from the buyer claiming the coin never arrived. So what should I do at this point? Will USPS help me in this case? TIA.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Unless you sent it with restricted delivery, signature required and insured, I think that you're stuck. I'm saddened that you have to go through this.

4. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

How was it shipped? Hopefully, the package was insured. Can you provide a link to the auction?

5. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I just got threw a week long debate with a customer that bought a $65.00 item about six weeks ago. Kept telling him to take it up with his local postmaster as it showed delivered. Finally got a email yesterday that low and behold he had found it in his desk.

If it shows delivered insurance is void for a loss.

6. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

Actually since you had tracking on it you are protected. I recently went through 2 similar cases with eBay. 1 item I shipped (actually the wife shipped it) didn't have tracking and unfortunately the person said they never received it. eBay took the money right out of my paypal no ifs ands or buts. A couple months later somebody said they never received the item however tracking showed that it was delivered and eBay sided with me in the matter and I was in the clear. The second case I believe was buyers remorse and the purchaser just wanted to try and scam me.

7. mocylop

mocylop Member

good to know. Thanks.BTW, I shipped via first class mail with tracking. I didn't buy insurance because I was told the insurance won't cover bullion coins unless I use registered mail.

8. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I think you were told incorrectly about the bullion coins. Insurance doesn't cover regular currency/coins, which have no value over their face value. And a number of postal workers have confused that with insurance for rare coins/bullion coins.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As long as you followed eBay rules (Delivery confirmation for items under I think $250, and signature confirmation for items over that amount) and the USPS shows it was delivered you are off the hook.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

+1

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Don't be so sure the buyer is lying though. I have been the victim of a recent string of packages either damaged or not delivered as a buyer. I feel sorry for the seller when I ask for a refund, but I never got the coin. I think the post office is having a lot more issues recently. Even with delivery confirmation I'm sure there are ways I can go wrong.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is true, as the seller you are OK but the buyer could verywell be telling the truth, especially with delivery confirmation. Delivery confirmation merely confirms that it was delivered SOMEWHERE and is no longer in the Postal Services hands. It does not actually track to any specific address or person. If they stick it in the wrong box and scan the barcode as far as the post office or ebay is concerned it was delivered. As I have said before some of the mailmen around here scan all their delivery confirmation stuff before they start their route so they don't have to bother with it along the way. So it was "delivered" long before it actually gets delivered. If it get delivered to the wrong place there is no way to know where it actually went. I get my neighbors mail all the time and I'm on a road that has an east and a west, I get mail for the same address number but intended for the East side on a regular basis.

13. lackluster

lackluster Junior Member

Mail carriers have barcodes along the route to scan everyday. This shows what time the carrier was at that point in his/her delivery. If a carrier scans a package delivered or whatever, that may also be brought up on a report that shows the exact time of the scan. This would show approximately where the carrier was (between which two scan points) on the route. Scan points are typically 45-min to 1 Hr apart.

Most letter mail is sorted to the route by a machine and occasionaly it is put on the wrong street (East-West) (North-South) or other possible errors. The carrier hopefully will catch these errors before delivery, but not always. Parcels however are not sorted this way and are much less likely to be delivered to the wrong address. Things being delivered next door is always possible unfortunately as no one is perfect. If your package was delived to the other side of town, this would show up on the scan. The scanner shows which carrier delivered the package and at what time, chances are a different carrier is delivering a different section of the town.

No system is perfect. Parcels are misdelivered, parcels are delivered and stolen. Some people get the package then claim they didn't. Unfortunately it all comes down to honesty on everyones part. Too bad everyobne is not honest.

Lack

Draft saved Draft deleted