EBAY SCAM!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coins776, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coins776

coins776 no title

i almost never buy anything on ebay anymore, about a week ago i made the mistake of buying a one quarter pound foreign coins lot for $5.40 with free shipping. the only reason that i purchased this lot is because the seller made a point of saying that these lots contain early 19th century and early 20th century coins. he said this in the listings for these lots. i received a total of 23 coins, the oldest coin in the lot is from 1968, there are a few coins from the 1970's and a few coins from the 1980's and 1990's, the rest of the coins are from the 2000's. i contacted the seller and told him this, and i also told him that he should not say things about the items that are not true. i received a reply from the seller today, he said that many of these lots he sold contained coins from 1900 to 1940. he also said that he does not search through the coins. he asked me what he could do to make things right. i have not replied to him because i don't know what to say. any opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

He is going to do nothing to make you happy. Send them back and get you money back. Even if he has a no return policy, the big advantage of eBay is that their guarantee .

4. Asylum

Asylum Member

If he guaranteed coins from those dates then they have to be in there or the item wasn't described correctly. Best case would just be to send them back for a full refund. It's not worth getting a replacement lot of coins that you probably won't be happy with.

5. randrace

randrace Member

Send 'em back for a refund.

6. Coinflipz

Coinflipz New Member

the agony over it is going to drag u down more than resolving it. Cut yourself the stress and just ask him for a partial refund and keep the coins

7. Coinflipz

Coinflipz New Member

s/h back to him is going to be $2.5ish anyhoo so you get $2.5 back, and u have to deal with it and send back yadda yadda. Just ask for a partial or cut your loss and throw in give them away to some kiddies.

8. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

All the above, but really, you didn't expect?
    I do troy Lbs. for around 10-15 bucks 19th century,....
    going to cost a bit more.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

If you don't like it send 'em back.

10. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

before you buy from dealers ! check their feedback , read careful all negative & neutral , sometimes its better buy from regular sellers with low feedback than a dealers who trying to scam people like selling stupid rolls with 1909vdb back or whatever ...

11. coins776

coins776 no title

the selller had 100 percent positive feedback at the time that i bought the coins.

12. coins776

coins776 no title

what i expect is for the sellers to tell the truth about the items. if sellers are not honest about the items that they are selling, then they should be banned from selling on ebay, peroiod!

13. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Sounds like he did not know/does not know which centuries the 1900's and 2000's actually belong to. Tell him you understand the mistake he made in the description. Make it clear that you do not wish to incur any further expenses for shipping back these worthless coins. Inform him that a refund in this case will guarantee that you will leave him positive feedback, after he leaves you positive feedback. This way he gets it in writing and can show the resolution emails to ebay, if required. I do think he should get positive feedback, he simply thought 19th century means 1900's and 20th century means 2000's. He was wrong, but did not intend to deceive on purpose. Let him keep his 100% feedback score.

Just for the record, we are now in the 21st century.;)

19th century (January 1, 1801 – December 31, 1900)
    20th century (January 1, 1901 - December 31, 2000)

Bambooski and BCArthur like this.
  14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

that will never happen --- ebay likes their profits. Banning sellers is not profitable. They will not ever want to fully patrol the sellers so the can ban them.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Oh, yes, it will - as soon as the buyers start getting items returned because they were not as offered, they will be forced to change. And I believe you will find that 95%+ of the eBay coin sellers are very honest. When people go looking for prices way below retail, they are the ones running into the fly-by-night dealers.

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I think you missed my point. I was replying to the statement "what i expect is for the sellers to tell the truth about the items. if sellers are not honest about the items that they are selling, then they should be banned from selling on ebay, peroiod!" In that statement, he expects the sellers to "tell the truth about the items"..... The truth can be many things, and lies can be perpetrated by omitting telling about something. In this case, that means sellers can be dishonest if they do not look over every item and point out "every" thing that could possibly found to be a fault in someone's perspective.
    Also the point that sellers who are not "honest" should be banned from selling on ebay. Ebay sets the standards for who they ban, not the buyer or others who see the listing. The buyers or others who see the listing can point it out to ebay, but my point was that ebay has no compunction to patrol all the listings to spot 'dishonesty' and it is not in their best interests to do so. They make their profit from sellers who sell items, as a percentage of the cost of items, and in listing, etc. Their profits would go down if they went in and patrolled to actively try to spot dishonest sellers and ban them from ever selling on ebay again. They would also incur more costs (less profits to them) to hire the number of personnel to get that job done.
    More than dishonesty (which can be a perception based on what your own personal guidelines are regarding that, and what you perceive is to be a buyer's due diligence in the matter as opposed to full disclosures, etc.), ebay simply targets the sellers who are, in the end, hurting their profits by driving customers away or as a show to buyers that they are 'responsible' and 'care', so buyers will stay with their site.
    To say "Oh, yes, it will - as soon as the buyers start getting items returned because they were not as offered, they will be forced to change.", I believe is not really accurate. Non-honest sellers only change their tactics to go with what is happening, they don't change because they are 'forced to' get away from dishonesty. Any your statement that " And I believe you will find that 95%+ of the eBay coin sellers are very honest." is a perception of what people are expecting. If you are moderately satisfied with a purchase and want to keep that purchase, you don't tend to focus on whether the seller was honest in his description or not, but your perception of the seller being honest is just as likely a factor of your decision to keep the item and be satisfied with it as it is a reflection of what the description was and how honest the seller was.

Lastly, your statement "When people go looking for prices way below retail, they are the ones running into the fly-by-night dealers." may or may not be true. They simply may be very price conscious (which is a sub-set of consumers) and go to dealers who are mindful of selling to that sub-set of consumers (since it can be a market in and of itself). Even normal retailers many times will go below retail to sell to these customers rather than to let them go. It's why people who are this way as a fact of life do get their freebies and other things much cheaper in the long run than the normal people who don't operate in this manner.

17. coins776

coins776 no title

ebay sellers should not be allowed to tell outright lies about the items that they sell. i would think that anybody who buys coins would agree with my statement. why should some people be entitled to lie about the items they sell? who are they to get away with that? ebay should ban them. it would be better for all buyers if they did. the prices of the items is not really the point, sellers are not allowed to commit fraud. it is really very simple.

18. coins776

coins776 no title

i don't think that even one percent of ebay sellers are honest.

19. coins776

coins776 no title

ebay scam update. i just checked the sellers latest feedback and he still has 100 percent positive feedback. and get this, one of the buyers left feedback today about the quarter pound lot of foreign coins they bought, they said this, "paid pennies, worth millions" now come on, this seller and many other sellers as well, must have a trick to change and or make up the feedback that they receive. the sellers feedback is not even close to the truth.

20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The trick is they get cohorts to buy some items and leave glowing reviews.

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Matt, 900fine, I, and MANY other CT members take offense at such remarks.

C-B-D, jallengomez, medoraman and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.