Does this look like an authentic 1916d??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mcreagin, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Mcreagin

Mcreagin Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mcreagin

Mcreagin Member

He said his wife bought it 40 yrs ago from a reputable dealer and he is now selling it because she is in a nursing home. I asked him if I won the bid and had it checked out and it turned out to be a fake if he would take it back. Of course he said no

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

He can say "no" all he wants; eBay's return policy is non-negotiable.

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

You do not make any sense. How would I have any idea what this person has or has not seen?

I ran it by my wife. That's a no go. Thanks for the suggestion though. I won't give up trying!
    Assuming I actually had free time, as you suggested, it would better spent on things other than your little games. Move along.

My thoughts "is" that it is the rarest of the Mercury dimes and it is posted on ebay, raw. What else is there say? Stay away from this one, especially if you have to ask strangers if it is fake or not.

6. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

It's the exact same with 427 Cobras, but it's more like 100 to 1.:(

And the coin, from my time looking through large bins of junk silver, that circulated Mercs usually have a layer of patina that this one does not seem to have. It just seems to have a dull, lifeless look to it. I would never buy an expensive coin on eBay to begin with, especially with blurry seller's pictures.

7. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

thumbs-up.gif jwebs

8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Pumpkin pie, You rock!!! Cobra's are awesome, but for pure style, how about 1970 series 2 E-Type Jag
    Cars just don't get prettier than that :)

As to not hijack the thread, a non- slabbed '16 D should be viewed with caution because of the ratio's you mentioned.

Mike

9. benplace

benplace Member

When spending that much, I would demand it was slabbed by a reputable company...

10. marid3

marid3 Member

I'm reading "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual" 7th ed. Pretty good, I recommend. It's basically about not getting screwed in this hobby/business. One takeaway I've created for myself is that anything worth 5x (set your own multiplier) or more the cost of slabbing is worth the premium you pay for slabbed versus unslabbed.
    I have no idea about the coin, but using the above, would not personally buy. Just some food for thought . . .
    Happy Collecting, and good luck!

11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I wouldn't go anywhere near that coin without better pics.

12. marid3

marid3 Member

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

There are some errors in that article just FYI. It's not a good reference.

14. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

With all due respect, Ethan, over the last 50 odd years I've seen a lot of Mercury dimes. Heck, I remember picking them out of circulation! Circulated coins do not have a patina to the best of my experience. The constant rubbing they receive would rub any trace of patina off them.

Draft saved Draft deleted