Difference between cameos and proof

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steverino, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Steverino

Steverino New Member

Hey all. Remember that I am new to all this so pardon me if this is an easy question. What exactly is the difference between a cameo and a proof coin (if any)? I am working on a set of Rosies and am wondering if I will need to assemble both a cameo and a proof for each proof year. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Cameo (CAM), Deep Cameo (DCAM) or Ultra Cameo (UCAM) are attributes given to proof coins.

The term, proof, refers to a method of production.

Chris

Steverino and Tom B like this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Proof is the method of manufacture where a coin is usually struck several times with specially prepared polished dies and planchets. Proof coins can have simple mirrored surfaces, CAMEO which refers to a coin with frosted devices and mirrored fiels resulting in a contrasting appearance, or DEEP CAMEO which refers to a CAMEO coin with a very strong contrast between the mirrored fields and frosted devices.

Proof Coin: (No CAMEO)

[​IMG]

Proof Coin: CAMEO

[​IMG]

Proof Coin: DEEP CAMEO

[​IMG]

Paul_62, Steverino and geekpryde like this.
  5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

To expand a little on what Chris wrote; a cameo proof will have raised devices that are frosted somewhat instead of a mirror finish throughout whereas a deep (ultra) cameo will have heavily frosted devices.

Steverino likes this.
  6. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

The "cameo" designation to make a long story short describes how strongly contrasted the devices are from the field. Even some coins that are technically not proofs can receive such a designation (I have Chinese silver pandas that are DCAM despite not being proofs), but most cameos are also proofs. Almost all modern proofs (minted from about 1968 to the present, if you're talking US proofs) are at least cameo; deep/ultra cameo are very common nowadays (since about the 1980's, especially on modern commemoratives). (BTW there's really no distinction between "deep cameo" and "ultra cameo" other than the preference of the TPGs. PCGS and ANACS use the term "deep cameo" while NGC uses the term "ultra cameo.")

Proof just refers to a method of manufacture where the dies are specially prepared, polished, the planchets are also usually polished, and the coin is struck at least twice with higher than standard pressure than what normal circulation coins receive.

Steverino likes this.
  7. Steverino

Steverino New Member

Excellent, thanks to both of you...and so, it would be a reasonable (but perhaps pricey) pursuit to have a cameo as well as a proof?

8. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Very reasonable; as to how pricey it is depends on the coin in question. If we're talking U.S. coins here cameos were pretty rare before say, 1955, but since then with higher manufacturing standards they're a lot more common. Since 1982 DCAM/UCAMs are so common in modern commems and proof sets the designation really doesn't add much significant value.

Cameos are certainly worth the pursuit if you can afford it as a lot of the eye appeal of a proof is how good the contrast is between the devices and the field. For earlier proofs this will set you back a bit more but for modern proofs it's so practically expected that the Mint rarely lets non-cameos even leave the Mint.

Cameo distinction on non-proofs is even rarer, but how valuable it is depends on the coin in question. Some classic coins can be proof-like and cameo (you see it on some Morgan dollars for example), and some foreign bullion coins are minted to a higher standard that they can get the cameo distinction quite readily despite not being proofs (Chinese panda coins quite often get DCAM because they're minted to almost proof specifications).

Steverino likes this.
  9. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

For pre-1973 coins it will cost you dearly to go cameo/deep cameo. They are more rare and the price reflects it.

10. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Wasn't sure when exactly the cut-off was but I have quite a few older proof sets and this does seem to be the point where U.S. proofs were more sharply defined and with noticeable better contrast (just comparing my 1976 set to my 1963 set shows this very well. My '63 set could probably go cameo if I bothered to submit it, but definitely not deep cameo).

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

some ultra (deep) cameos get very expensive. depends on the year. earlier dates bring big money later dates are affordable.

12. Ethan

Yeah I have no DCAM Kennedy's from 64-67 as they cost an arm and a leg. Tried to find one myself and realized just how rare they are.

13. Ethan

Double Post ..My goodness what is up with this? Sorry

14. Steverino

Steverino New Member

I really appreciate this. I have found the Rosies to be fairly easy to gather and I'd like to see how varied I can make a complete set.

15. robec

robec Junior Member

The 1964 proof cameo shouldn't be too hard to find, nor too expesive. You can find them graded PR66 or 67 Cameo for around $50 and a PR68 Cameo for under $100.

There were no Proofs made from 1965-67, but Cameos and Deep Cameos can be found in the Special Mint Set (SMS) issues. These prices are a little steeper, although you might be able to find the 1966 and 1967 in 66 Cameo for somewhere in the $50-$75 range. The 1965 will be a little more costly.

16. Ethan

I have a few, and maybe one DCAM dime...might take some pics later.

17. Ethan

Draft saved Draft deleted